Chapter 40: Entrance

When I was twenty-four, the tragedy struck our family. My mom died of cancer. At the time, I was devastated even though I had been preparing for it for weeks. She knew she was dying, but instead of herself, she was worried about me.

For my birthday, she gave me a male ferret. I didn't understand her gift at the time. Thinking it was stupid, I questioned her reasons. After all, I've never had a pet before.

It was only a few days before she passed away.

Only then did I realize she didn't want me to feel alone when she's gone, which I wasn't. I still had a dad, a younger brother, and a grandfather. But without her, it wasn't the same. I don't know if my mother intended to give me a male ferret or if it was a mistake, but I became the only woman or, more precisely, only female in our family. Ferret quickly became my best friend, though. He was the one I confided my feelings to instead of her, and I fell asleep cuddling him.

I named him Sage.

His wisdom was boundless, as he always seemed to know how to cheer me up.

Like him, I lost the rest of my family when I was kidnapped by a little flying bastard. Even things reminding me of them were stolen from me. I have no idea whether the magic, skill, or mumbo jumbo that fae used in my abduction, did not allow the transfer of objects, but I appeared in the cellar without them. Completely naked.

All I have left now are memories of them and the hope that I will find a way back one day.

The first mutation was the hardest for me. I was in a very bad place then, wanting to die, but I couldn't kill myself because of the slave collar. When Dungreen injected a second essence into my veins, I thought I was broken beyond repair.

That changed when my tail grew after this injection, and I found my lost friend in it. He wasn't the Sage I knew, but in his embrace, I was able to fall asleep other than from exhaustion. I could confide in him my feelings, even if only in my thoughts. He shared the same pain with me, and he managed to lift my mood when I thought I couldn't hold any longer.

Until now, I haven't said his name out loud, though.

I was afraid that if I did, I would lose him again, that fae would reappear and deprive me of what was dear to me like before. It made little sense to me, though. Mutations were something I wanted to get rid of, but at the same time, I didn't want to lose Sage.

Well, my hatred for mutations was slowly fading, at least to some. So, it was time to get rid of that fear too, and this little kitsune and her tail gave me the courage to do so.

"Really?" she asked me with sparkling eyes after I told her about Sage, my tail.

"Um-hmm," I nodded, but then I looked at her sternly. "Don't tell anyone else. It will be a secret between us. Okay?"

She thought for a moment, her expression with her finger on her chin was adorable, then she looked at me, "I promise, I won't tell anyone about Sage."

"Shhh" I shushed her with a forefinger to the lips, horrified at the volume of her voice. Just because I told her about Sage didn't mean I wanted everyone to know right away.

"I promise!" she whispered, nodding enthusiastically.

I nodded and smiled, "Okay, Ria. Now, I like to see the entrance to the labyrinth?"

She didn't question my request, didn't even laugh at it, she just pointed to the exit, "That's easy, follow me!"

So I let this little kitsune lead me, while wondering how her mother could let her work at that age. Like years old, Ria seemed to me, she should be in elementary school, not work. Especially not doing a job like this, guiding strangers around the city.