Chapter 104: Spiced up

"Castiana City Guard? You mean one of them?" I pointed to guardsmen standing around.

"That's right, Grey. And don't forget the ma'am."

"I..." Addressing her correctly was the last thing on my mind right now. "Are you serious?"

Rayden just raised an eyebrow. It wasn't hard to tell what she wanted me to do.

"Ma'am," I added, gritting my teeth.

"You heard right, Grey," she said. "In fancy terms, it's to show newcomers what they can achieve. Between you and me, it's supposed to knock them off their perch."

"Like show me I'm not invincible? I'm well aware of that, ma'am."

"Are you? Then take this as a little reminder." She nodded her head at her guardsmen. "Reminder, there is always someone stronger."

"I know that too."

"Let me tell you something," Rayden said with a slight sigh and looked at the other members of Squad Four. "It's no secret that I served in the Imperial Army before I came here. Since I was raised in a military family, I joined as soon as I got my class. I'm telling you this because I faced my squadmates like you when I joined my first squad, regardless of my background. It's not some bullshit that I, or my predecessor, made up. It's a practice much older than me."

"That doesn't mean it can't change. Ma'am." I took her pause as a turn for me to speak.

"Yeah, I got a hell of a beating that time." She ignored me. "Actually, every time I was transferred. But then when we sat down for a beer, we had something to talk about, and we laughed it off. It brought us together, and I'm not just talking about my squad, but the entire platoon."

"Didn't it just bring more grudges? Ma'am." Being beaten up in front of so many may have been too much for some egos. The humiliation, the ridicule. It didn't sound appealing to me either.

"Something that can usually be solved with fists or swords later. It's up to the commanding officer to know when things went too far. Look, Grey, I understand how you feel. You've fought a hard fight, sustained injuries, and I'm telling you to take on an even tougher opponent."

"Getting beaten up," I said bitterly. "Ma'am."

"Depends on how you do."

"Do I have a choice? Ma'am."

"Of course," Rayden nodded, rocking back on her heels with her hands behind her back. "Say the word, and we'll end it here. Think carefully, though."

Yeah, there was no doubt what she meant. If I refused, despite the efforts I'd made so far, I'd always be the one who didn't have the guts to stand up to one of them. Closing my eyes, I sighed. What was one beating to the dozen or so I had taken in the Esulmor woods. Couldn't be worse. Still...

"I won't have to face the master guards, will I ma'am?" The laughter that came after that from the onlooking guardsmen made my ears twitch, throwing me off guard. "I'll do it if I have to, just..."

"Oh, the gal has some balls..." I overheard before I refocused back on Rayden. It wasn't easy.

"That won't be necessary, Grey."

Good to hear. It really was. If it wasn't them, I still had a chance. A very small, tiny one, but I had a chance.

"Oh, I see." A smile crossed her face when she saw my reaction. "Fair warning. Don't look down on them too much."

That gave me pause. What made her think that? I didn't believe I'd ever looked down on anyone, at least in terms of combat prowess. After all, I wasn't a saint either.