Chapter 31: City Lord

Are you going in? Or are you gonna stand here all night? Reluctantly, I went inside. There at the head of the table sat a man with a dark, medium-bearded beard, a roman nose, and thick eyebrows that contrasted with the bald head on his head. When his gaze fell on me, it sent shivers down my spine, for some reason.

[Baron: lvl ?]

Based on his expensive-looking and richly decorated clothing, I thought it would be someone of high rank. The system confirmed to me that he was a lord. Probably the Castian Lord mentioned by the gals in the canteen.

His entourage was not any poorer-looking, the two young women behind him looked like orderly noble ladies. Although I didn't like to admit that I envied their appearance, they were gorgeous.

[Maid: lvl ?]

[Assistant: lvl ?]

I could only doubt again what the system was showing me, whether what I saw was the class in question, the general description of it, or the person's title.

Looking around the room, I saw Captain Rayden leaning against the wall by one of the windows. But she wasn't the only face I knew in the room. Sitting at the other end of the same table as the Baron was Marcus, and next to him Janina, two healers who had helped me and knew who I was, were sitting side by side now.

But there were also strangers to me, like the man sitting to Marcus's left.

[Guardian: lvl ??]

The guardian was not in armor, but he was twice as huge as the healer sitting next to him. I would guess his age at fifty from his appearance, but I never had a good judgment of the people's age. Moreover, his face was hidden under a long trimmed gray beard that the lords could not compete with. Unlike the city leader, his head, despite his age, was covered with long gray hair pulled back into a ponytail.

The last person in the room was the man behind the trio. At first glance, his attitude showed that he would rather be somewhere else and instead face the monsters in the labyrinth. The scars on his right side of his face were proof that he had met the monsters up close. His sharp gaze fell on me as soon as I entered the room.

Even his level, I saw as two question marks.

[Swordmaster: ??]

The level of people in the room made me think about the city guards, more specifically, the senior guards and their levels. I was surprised that the Baron himself and his entourage did not reach these levels. Based on what the system said, he must have been between levels 141-191, and my instinct told me that his level was closer to the lower number, unlike the two young women behind him.

The atmosphere in the room was tense, but I didn't expect anything else. I just hoped there wouldn't be that many people here and definitely not the city lord.

"Emm ..." Travis cleared his throat to get their attention.

Whether this was necessary was questionable. Those people knew I was in the room the moment I entered it, maybe even earlier. They just ignored me and preferred to stare daggers at each other across the table.

The first to react was Marcus, "Lass, good to see y..."

"We've been waiting for you," Janina said, stopping Marcus by elbowing him in the ribs.

In other circumstances, I would have liked to talk to them. Not now, but I was glad they were here nonetheless. Not so happy that they were waiting for me though, I'd rather everyone forgot about me. I had to stop myself from cursing, knowing that it would not happen. Instead, I just nodded in response to Janina's words, unaware of what I should say.