Chapter 78: Chick, Tricks and Cry

The tension in which my mind was working at full speed, pondering the fact that the people I came here with were so much more, was broken when Travis entered the room with a knock. Holding the hen to his body, he saluted with his free hand. "Sir, ma'am."

"Is that a chicken?" Baron Egerton asked right away, still pale as a sheet from his blunder.

"Yes, Lord. I thought it would be good to test the different animals. There are guards waiting outside the door with a pig, a dog, and a goat."

Rage in the Baron's eyes flared up again, and some color returned to his cheeks. 'You're not here to think!' Those were the words I expected to hear from him, instead the one who spoke was Captain Rayden. "Good thinking."

It really was. I was the one with the ability to talk to beasts, and I hadn't thought of that. It was stupid of me. However, my curiosity about my own abilities was quickly replaced by anxiety with the realization that I would have to do this testing in front of everyone. Worse, the first beast, or rather an animal, was a bloody chicken.

[Hen: lvl 2]

Seriously, the hen was too bloody dumb to understand what I was saying or for her clucking to make sense to me. The pig and the goat were slightly more intelligent. But most of their thoughts were on the food. I was able to command them to some extent. The dog, Pond, I know a strange name, was quite something else.

One growl from me, and he started calling me Lady. Despite the odd commands I had to give him to perform, I tried to be polite to him. Even the handler was surprised at how obedient his four-legged partner was. The intentions behind his barking were easy to read, and now and then, actual words reached my ears. Somewhat awkwardly, his frustrated growls between my questions and commands were directed at some bitch. He was pretty blunt about his desire.

All in all, I wouldn't say my performance was very impressive. I would go so far as to call it mere circus tricks. Yet it was good enough to Agent Sah, and even the City Lord seemed convinced. I have to say that it was pretty satisfying to watch him as the implications of it all were sinking in.

"It would be rash to make any decision now before Lord Wigram arrives," Rayden told Baron Egerton in particular, hinting at his earlier orders and intention to kick me out of Castiana, being foolish. Baron didn't miss her mocking, but this time, he had to agree with her. After all, even an Agent Sah had brought the Imperial Chief Healer's interests to his attention earlier.

"That freak may stay in the city, but she won't leave the barracks," he said resolutely, while completely disregarding his previous blunders and insulting me in one breath. "I don't want to see her wandering the streets. She's a danger to others."

"That's where you're wrong," Janina objected. So far, the master guard healer had only sat silently and listened, which made her reproach all the more striking. She immediately further elaborated on her argument. "Medically, she is not a danger to anyone and has sufficient self-control."

As far as I knew, I was not a carrier of any disease, although I might not be looking my best right now. I definitely needed a shower. I wasn't so sure about the self-control thing, but I kept my mouth shut.

"Rather, she is in danger from guys like Ward." Blaine filled in, and Captain Rayden finished the thought and point. "They're the ones who shouldn't be roaming the city but rotting behind bars."

"That's your fucking job," Baron Egerton fumed, pointing at her. "If such a vermin is in my city. That just says you're doing it wrong."

Rayden smiled as if she had been waiting for him to say something like that. "Should I remind you of what you promised us last time? I've yet to see that extra gold in our budget. Is anyone fixing the enchantments on the walls?"