Chapter 22: Flesh Wound

Becca smiled sadly at my answer but did not comment on it. She didn't even try to touch me again. Instead, an aura reminiscent of Captain Rayden's aura radiate from her, comforting me. I looked at her, confused about why she hadn't used this skill before. Why did I have to drink some potions when it was enough for her to use this aura on me.

"Soothing fields and similar skills are more suitable for combat!" she said without me asking her.

I put aside that she was able to tell what I was thinking again, determined to ask later some half-terrans for guidance on how better to control my body and the expression of emotions. Instead, I looked around the room.

All the healers were dressed in leather armor, holding weapons in their hands. Some had staffs, others wands, more typical for healers I knew from the games, but most of them had swords or shields. Marcus was giving them all orders, preparing for the intruders as the battle approached the infirmary door.

I had never seen a healer fight, I had no idea what to expect, but it seemed that these people had experience with fighting, despite their profession. I knew Becca used to be a seeker and Markus in the military, but what about the others? Did they have similar experiences?

I looked back at Becca, who was staring at the door but still comforting me with her soothing field. I wished I was brave like her, I thought I was, but it turned out I was a coward.

"No!" I whispered defiantly; I wasn't a coward, just broken. Right now, Nila Tenderfire would have laughed in my face. How could I stand in front of her again when I hid in bed at the first sign of danger. I wanted to prove to her that I wasn't a coward. I wanted to prove it to myself. I just didn't expect it to be so soon.

With newfound determination, I changed my skills back to my original ones. Even [Tail of Poison Empress], which I was afraid to reveal about the most. However, I was probably most familiar with its use.

The sudden spread of perception, the influx of mana and strength made me dizzy. I regretted it for a moment, as I was close to vomiting again.

Fortunately, that did not happen.

I startled Becca when I suddenly got out of bed.

"What are you doing?" she asked, jumping in front of me. Until now, I didn't realize how small she was, almost half a head smaller than me.

"I won't die lying in bed," I told her defiantly, knowing that even if I died, it probably wouldn't be permanent.

Becca frowned, "No one will die! Stand behind me. I'll protect you."

I didn't want to argue with her in this situation. On the contrary, I was glad that someone I knew was with me, albeit I only knew her for a few hours. Yeah, I found the courage in me. Still, it was not easy to stand up to someone who managed to make his way through a barracks full of Guards.

Did I have a chance when the intruder couldn't be stopped by guardsmen at a much higher level than me? Hardly. Did the healers have a chance? I wanted to believe it.

I almost peed my shorts how scared I was when something hit the infirmary door.

The second blow did not come, instead two men flew through the door, landing in front of the waiting healers. I looked at the two immediately. Huge armored guardsman lay on the intruder, pinning him to the ground. Under the guard's weight, the man could do nothing but wait for the blow that had stunned him.

"Korra, watch out!" Becca shouted.

I looked up at the door, where a woman was standing. A spear she had just thrown leaving her hand, spear thrown in my direction. To my surprise, I managed to create a shield in front of me and move to the left before the spear pinned me to the infirmary wall.