Chapter 54: Inferno

"Wait, calm down, stop using so much mana, and let's talk. This is a misunderstanding," Ward said in an attempt to prevent the worst.

"What did I misunderstood? That you tried to backstab us? Sell us out to a fucking mind mage? Do you think I'm stupid enough to believe you'll give us thirty percent and let us go?"

"Well ..." the master mage hesitated, basically affirming that he really thought so.

"Mr. Ward, I am more than willing to help you solve this problem. After all, it is in the interest of all of us that this meeting took place peacefully," the bitch said, warning him.

She was wrong about that, though. Not everyone wanted this to go smoothly. Definitely not me!

So, I watched the claws on my hands emerge. I could feel the fangs in my mouth growing and fighting for space with the gag, which was bloody uncomfortable, if I may say so.

As my three cellmates noticed changes on my body, they tensed up. Unable to warn anyone even if they wanted, they could only watch in silence and fright what was happening before their eyes.

It wasn't just luck that no one else saw what was going on in my cage, as everyone's eyes were fixed on Rutledge's crew. Especially on Aspen, who was using dangerously high amounts of mana, more than what was recommended in these woods if one valued her life.

"Aspen, Vik, I'm a reasonable man, and I see you as capable fellows. How about working for me? We don't have to go down this road!" Ward offered them.

Bruiser growled. "To be a Shadowbreaker?"

"Don't believe everything they say. Those rumors are used to scare people," Ward said, unbothered by the fact that he was basically implying that the rumors, whatever they were, were spread deliberately.

"I saw the bodies, Ward," Aspen said, shaking her head. "It's not just rumors!"

Ward frowned, obviously displeased with her remark, but no profanity left his mouth. "I forgot you were a guard."

How he could forget that when it was literally her class was beyond me.

"Those people didn't know what was good for them. Don't make the same mistake," the master mage said, trying hard to think of a way to convince her.

"What about me?" asked the slave trader sharply when Ward did not mention his name. "I'm her master, you need me!"

Ward snorted. "Sorry Arlo, you shouldn't have taken my job ... and you know damn well I don't need you!"

"Bastard!" cursed Rutledge, knowing full well what it meant for him. The slave link was not unbreakable. It wasn't some god-blessed bond. When the master died, the slave was free from him.

That is why every collar had two functions from the very beginning. It forced the slaves to obey the master's commands and prevented them from harming the master.

"Aspen, forget Arlo, Castiana, and work for me. All the debts you have will be forgotten," Ward offered Aspen in an attempt to persuade her. "Same for you Vik."

But she shook her head. "Another lie. Don't think I don't know how you and your ilk got my brother into those debts. I have...tss .."

She twitched her head and fixed her eyes on the mind bitch.

"How..how can an mere city guard have such mental defenses," she muttered to herself, bewildered by what happened.

The fireball sent in her direction in response to her mind attack made her jump aside. What followed was utter chaos.