Chapter 33: Offer

"Morton forced the interrogation room technician to turn off the recording function," the Captain said and waited for me to realize what she meant.

"Okay?" I hesitated, unaware of what to say. Morton said he took care of the recording, used the technician to do so, and .... I did not know what she was getting at.

Captain Rayden shook her head, "How could he know about the recording but not about the limitations of magical tools in the room?! We were lucky he was an impulsive idiot."

Then she leaned back and muttered, "...or mentally unstable, which a lot of mind mages are."

I wouldn't call his poor mental health luck.

He attacked me, for fuck' sake!! I shouted inwardly, not daring to express my emotions out loud to the woman on the other side of the table.

"But you were an even bigger idiot! What did you think when you decided to resist enchantments right in front of him, in front of me?! Did you think neither of us would notice?!" She asked me.

Under her stern gaze, I felt like a child being scolded by my mother for the stupidity I had done. I know what I did was stupid, but ...

I hesitated to tell the truth to her, feeling a little embarrassed to talk about my emotions.

"The way Hal...Morton tried to get the truth out of me felt like the magic of the slave collar, but what the room was doing to me did not differ from the effects [Master's Toy]." I told her my reason, I shivered at the thought, and a little more passionately, I continued, "You don't know how disgusting it was to have that skill. It made me admire Dungreen, long for his presence, in the same way as the room nudged me to tell the truth. Unobtrusively, nonviolently, if I didn't know the feeling, I wouldn't know about it! So forgive me for defending myself when it's not even a week since I gained my freedom!! When it's only been a few days since I got rid of that disgusting skill!!!"

Captain looked at me with raised eyebrows, waiting for me to calm down.

"Are you feeling better?" She asked after I stopped breathing hard.

I nodded, embarrassed and horrified by what I did, that I dared to shout at her.

"When I asked you your reason, I didn't expect such an honest answer. It never occurred to me that you had the guts to yell at me, but I wouldn't bite your head off for that. Compared to Egerton yelling at me in the morning, this was nothing." She grinned, reaching for her hair. "I understand your reasons, but it doesn't change the fact that it was stupid. Don't do it next time!"

I'd love to promise her that, but I couldn't tell right now how I would react to the next interrogation. Rather, I hoped that I would no longer have to take part in any interrogation, that as a victim of slavery, inhuman experiments, and the mind attack, they would leave me alone.

I sighed, knowing it was just a wish.

Moaning over my current life, over the interrogations, I remembered one of Morton's first victims in the city.

"What about that technician, is she...?" I didn't finish the sentence, trying to remember what she called it ... mind fucked?!

"Dead? No, she's fine. She doesn't even remember what happened." She waved off my worries.

They wanted to get to me; I was their goal. All this was my fault, so I was glad to hear that at least someone didn't suffer because of me.

Captain pointed at me, "Back to you. Lord Delamere is in no hurry, he will be here in five days, and I do not intend to keep you here until his arrival."