Perceptions of Monsters

Chapter 5

A/N: yes, I know the last chapter was a little short, but hey, at least now the real adventure to deliver the Dragon Prince beings right? Anyways, I'm just the author, the OCs belong to Gabeherdon308 and I don't own TDP.

Rayla sat on a rock glaring at the silver binding on her wrist, tugging at it experimentally her brows furrowed as it remained tight. Raising a skeptic brow, she brought her wrist to her mouth and clamped her teeth down on the fabric, tugging at it like a wolf, hoping the binding would break. Nearly falling off her perch, she released the band and sat back up glaring daggers at it.

If physical means didn't work, then perhaps magical ones would. Though...it wasn't like she knew much magic. Maybe there was a phrase or special code?

"Unbind yourself!" she tried, frowning when the ribbon remained firmly in place. "Unbind...thyself?" Still no reaction from the binding. "Unbindo?!"

Unsurprisingly, the binding remained.

With a sigh, she looked over to the trio of humans, finding all three asleep. What made her balk was the creepy little frog-thing glaring at her. It gave a grunt, and for some inexplicable reason, Rayla felt mildly offended.

"Don't judge me! So what, I'm talking to my ribbon-thing? How's that any worse than talking to a...whatever you are?" she grumbled. The frog's eyes narrowed and it changed to a darker hue, though the shadows made it difficult to tell what particular color. Narrowing her own eyes, Rayla met his challenging gaze. Whatever was going on right now, she was not going to lose to a frog.

Said frog then used its tongue to lick its own eye making her gag and turn away.

Looking up at the castle, guilt began to weigh in her chest as she heard bells begin to ring from the Castle on the ridge above. Seems she was right; the stories she'd heard were true, the only thing that would remove this binding was by eliminating her target. And now that she had the egg, there was no need for Ezran to die; meaning that binding would remain till her hand was gone.

-.-

"Callum. Callum. Hey!"

Callum jumped looking up at Rayla as she looked down at him with a raised brow.

"That's you're name right? Callum? Clem? Or was it Camel?"

"Uh, it's Callum," he corrected. "Guess I was just distracted trying to draw this Primal Ball."

"Primal Stone."

"Uh, right. It holds the pure essence of a Primal Spirit inside," he continued, frowning when the elven girl rolled her eyes.

"Primal Source."

"Right."

"You do know what the six Primal Sources are?" she questioned.

Callum looked down, feeling embarrassed. He was a mage, and he didn't even know what the Primal Sources were. How ridiculous was that? "If I say yes are you going to make me name them?"

There was a frustrated groan from the girl to his left. She held out her hand, motioning to his sketchbook. Handing it over, the girl began to draw six symbols on a blank page. "All magic in the world comes from the Primal Sources. They're the original and purest forms of magical energy," she began to explain, "the sun, the moon, the stars, the earth, the ocean, and..." she tapped the Primal Stone.

"The sky," he finished and she nodded.

"Yes. To cast a spell, a mage needs Primal Energy. So that wind breath spell you did? You'd usually need a storm or at least a strong breeze. But with that stone, you have all the power of the sky, any time."