Chapter 2 : We Meet Again

June's POV

"Good morning! Everyone will be continuing their partner's sketch today and this will be due at the end of class" Mr.Parker sighed lazily and slouched into his chair.

So, I guess it's the mysterious guy's turn to sketch of me, though I bet he's not gonna even try. All he's going to do is sit there on his phone, ignoring me like everyone else does. I shifted in place a little, distracted by my own thoughts. As I kept moving every now and then, I was caught by surprise when I heard a strong masculine voice right in front of me.

"You're going to have to stay still if you want me to sketch you correctly." He said nonchalantly. All I could do was nod and stand still for him like a statue as he began to sketch the shape of my face, his hand dancing across the paper. His eyebrows furrowed in a focused like-manner as he drew how he portrayed me. The way he looked at me while he drew me was as if he was searching for something in them. One side of me was wondering what he saw in my hazel-green eyes and the other side of me was feeling uncomfortable for being observed for too long. He slid the paper towards me then stretched his arms in the air.

"Here." He said aggressively, handing me the paper.

I picked up the paper and observed the drawing, though I caught him looking at me which made me become flustered under his gaze. Quickly, I looked down, fidgeting with the bottom of my shirt to hide my reddened cheeks. He let out a dark chuckle and I swear, never have I wanted to hide from such an intense gaze. I slid the paper back slowly then heard him clear his throat.

"So I didn't catch your name yesterday," he said while combing his hair through his fingers.
Well of course he didn't, he left class early. I thought to myself.

He gave me a charming smile as he leaned back against the chair. I bet all the girls fell for that smile but not me, it'll take more than just a smile to make me swoon. After all, he was too egotistical for my taste in guys.

"So, what's your name?" He asked again, a bit more persistent than last time.
'Why is he talking to me today? This guy showed no interest in me yesterday so what changed?' "Why do you care?" I asked raising an eyebrow at him.
He shrugged his shoulder. "I would just like to know. I mean like, I did draw your face, isn't it right to know your name too?"
"June McBride," I said quietly.
"Nice name, My name's Nick Wonder."
"So, do you have lunch after this?" This time I shrugged my shoulders. "I do have lunch but instead I'm just going to head to the library. I want to know if I could do any volunteer work." Of course, that was a lie, I don't like being around people unless I have to. So I made up this excuse so I could find some way to escape from him.

"All the volunteer spots are taken, you had to sign up for them last year. Look, there's a seat open at lunch if you want to come. I'm not going to force you to come to eat with us if you don't want to, it's just an offer."

"I don't know..." I said, unsure whether I should or not. Mum did say that I needed to make friends this year, but I don't think making acquaintances with a group of bad boys was what she had in mind.

"Come on June I don't bite, neither do
my boys so you'll be fine." Nick said trying to convince me.
A
I guess I have nothing to lose. I put up with people like this all the time so I'll be okay. "Okay, I'll come."

Nick gave me a small smile, happy with the answer I gave him. The bell rang, dismissing everyone but before we left class, we turned in both of our sketches to Mr.Parker. Nick started pushing through the crowds of people but no one seemed to mind and kept walking. I ran after him trying to catch up, accidentally bumping into some people but of course, I was being cussed at while also given glares. Finally I caught up to him, now being able to follow Nick to the cafeteria.

He stopped all of a sudden, resulting in me running into his back. I quickly apologized, then backed up frantically and put my hands over my head, squatting to brace myself for a push or insult like most of the teens did when I made a mistake. Mostly teens, a large amount of them would throw insults my way and occasionally moody girls would push me when I messed up. But now, I was REALLY done for. Nick wasn't going to hold back and I was going to be hurt severely. Today I'd be walking with bruises on my knees and elbows after this. However, whatever I was expecting never came. He looked down at me strangely and tapped my right shoulder. "Hey are you ok? I'm not going to hurt you, mistakes happen." I peered up at him; quizzicaly sitting up but still on guard. "You're not going to hurt me or saying anything to me?" Nick shook his head and gave me a confused look. "Why would I do that?"

Rubbing my forehead I groaned at the stinging pain and looked at him to answer his question. "I'm a target ok? People like to hurt me when I make mistakes." Nick was about to ask me question but I beat him to it by asking one of my own. "So, why'd we stop at the entrance to the cafeteria?" Nick's smile soon faded, replaced by a more acute look and spoke seriously as he turned his back on me. " Look, before we go to the table I wanted to give you a little warning that my friends can get pretty loud so it might take you a while to get use to us."

My eyes moved to see two boys arm wrestling, yelling at the same time, with everyone's eyes on them. Great, I'm walking myself into danger and choosing to sit with them. Why wasn't I going with my gut feeling that's telling me NOT to sit with them? As I approached the table with Nick, I felt pairs of eyes following me. I saw a teacher walk up to the two boys, Nick, and I. She had thin gray hair that went to her shoulders, thick glasses, with small stormy gray eyes. I think her name is Ms. Pettigrew, a teacher I saw a pic of on the wall next to the school office room. My stomach dropped and I swallowed a large gulp of air to prepare myself .

"Hi Ms. Pettigrew how are you doing today?" I asked a bit nervously.
She shot me a look of disapproval probably because I sitting at a table full of chaos, then opened her mouth slightly, "It would be better, my dear, if only these boys would stop wrestling and yelling at lunch." Nick smirked while leaning back in his chair like he always did, ready to challenge someone. "Ms.Pettigrew this isn't a library, we have the right to be loud since this is our only time to be loud. Plus my friends and I aren't nearly as loud as the computer geeks yelling at each other over at the other table playing videogames. You chose the wrong group to complain about." Ms. Pettigrew scowled then put her hands on her hips. "Don't get smart with me Mr.Wonder. For your information, I was just about to go talk to them after telling your friends to quiet down. I could put you and your friends in detention for talking back to me. So I would advise you to be careful how you speak to me" With that said, Ms.Pettigrew stomped off, annoying another group of people.

Nick rolled his eyes while stretching his arms. "Finally the bitchy teacher left, she's so annoying. She always comes out of nowhere and gets onto us when there's plenty of other people causing problems."
The guy that sat right across from us yawned while stretching out his arms. "Man how old is she like 60?" The guy asked.
The other guy shrugged his shoulders. "Don't know, don't care."
Meanwhile, I was just texting my mom, keeping her company because she was home all alone. After that whole problem blew over I had a feeling this was going to be a long lunch break.