Chapter 19: Flustered

June's POV

Sarah unlocked the car; Stephanie buckled herself up. I sat in the back waiting for Sarah to start the car. I looked out the window, thoughts flooding my mind. What did they do yesterday? Who was Danny?

Why did the fight start? What secret are they hiding? I snapped back to reality when a hand was waving in front of my face. "Hey June you've been talking to yourself for the whole ride are you okay?" Stephanie asked worried. I looked up and mumbled a "sorry." "They're fine June," Stephanie said trying to reassure me.

I only nodded in response. "Hey how about we set up a welcome home party for the boys?" Sarah asked, still looking forward. "That would be nice except. "I think Nick's step mother wants him home tomorrow," Stephanie said. Sarah scoffed, "Since when did I give a shit about what the ugly bratz doll says?" Stephanie threw her head back and laughed.

A few minutes passed and we pulled up to a three- story home, surrounded by trees, in the parking lot there was a BMW X5 and a Volkswagen Scirocco. Stephanie got out of the car and she turned to look at me first. "Hopefully we'll be able to talk about your Nicki boo tomorrow."

I rolled my eyes, Stephanie and Sarah laughed. "I have to go, night guys!" She said and waved. We waved good bye and Sarah pulled out of the parking lot. We sat in the car quietly until I broke the silence. I turned to face Sarah who was keeping a eye on the road.
"So, does it bother you that the boys are hiding something from us?"

"What do you mean?" she asked. "Like don't you want to know what the boys are hiding?" Sarah shrugged her shoulder. "I don't know I wasn't really thinking about it until you brought it up." I sighed and crossed my arms, disappointed of her answer. She pulled up at a restaurant and parked. I looked at her confused.

"I thought you were going to take me home." "Well yeah but I thought you'd be hungry so here we are," she said. I was hungry so I just smiled and nodded. We got out of the car and began to walk toward the place. Sarah put her keys in her purse and looked up at me.

"So what were you doing when Stephanie and I left the room?" My face suddenly turned red when I remembered what I did. I kissed Nick on the cheek. "I--I didn't do anything." Sarah seemed amused and grinned. Her facial expression changed in ten seconds and she gasped. "Oh no you didn't!" She yelled.

A few people gave us weird looks before returning to whatever they were doing. "I didn't what?" I asked trying to play dumb. Hoping that she wouldn't suspect anything. "Oh you know what I'm talking about!" She said and lightly hit my arm. I gave her a confused look but she just laughed at me. "Do I really have to say this?" "Say what?"

"You kissed Nick!" My faced turned a deep shade of red and shook my head. "I didn't kiss him." "Yeah okay June you can't fool me, I know you kissed him." I took out my cellphone and pretended I got a call from someone. She snatched my phone away from me and checked my screen.

She shook her head smiling at me. "Admit it June, you kissed him." "Okay fine I kissed him on the cheek, happy?" I said louder than I expected. I covered my mouth. Again, people were looking at us. I can't believe I just said that. "Was he awake when you kissed him?"She asked.

"No he was asleep, now can you stop asking so many questions?" "Okay one last one." I sighed and rubbed my forehead. "Fine what is it?" "Do you love him?" "I'm not answering that" I said and walked into the restaurant. She came in right after me and we sat at a table near the window. She started to beg.  "Come on June please?" "No."

"Ugh fine I'll ask you tomorrow." "Thank you" I said and gave a bitter smile. A waiter with short wavy black hair came up to us and took out his notebook. "Hello what can I get for both of you today?" He asked. "Hi can we get a big basket of fries please?" I asked. "Sure thing, I'll be right back" he said and left. I turned my attention back to Sarah.

Sarah sat across me her phone in her hands, with half of her tongue sticking out. I shook my head. Weirdo. I looked over Sarah's shoulder to see who she was texting. On the screen it read 'Mr. Naughty Pants.' "Who's Mr. Naughty Pants?" I asked. Her cheeks flushed pink and looked down at the floor. In a low voice she said "Brady."

I laughed as she tried to shush me. "Did you give him that name?" "No sometimes he steals my phone and he must of changed his name. I laughed again and Sarah rolled her eyes at me. "Oh I should tell Stephanie what you did in the hospital!" She said and typed quickly.

I whipped my head around and snatched her phone. "No, no, no you don't need to do that" I said. "Why not she deserves to know." I cleared my throat. "Because I don't want you to, heck you weren't even suppose to know but you pressured me." I gave her phone back to her after a good three minutes.

She held it in her hands and sighed. She pressed the backspace button and I gave her a smile. "Thanks." "Your welcome but we will tell Stephanie tomorrow."  I hung my head back annoyed. "Ugh fine." I decided to bring up a new topic. "So when are you going to tell me the story when you met Brady?" I asked, wiggling my eyebrows.

She gave me a weird look before she answered. "We met when we were sophomores. I was a cheerleader at the time and he was the new boy with a bad reputation. Nick introduced me to him when I asked him." "Wait a minute, you knew Nick before meeting Brady?

The waiter placed the fries down and we said our thanks before we continued our conversation. When the waiter walked off, Sarah grabbed a fry and dipped it in ketchup. "Yeah we grew up together. Our mothers were best friends when they had us." "Really?" Sarah nodded. "Yeah we practically consider each other siblings because we're so close."

"Oh um cool?" I said. "I guess" she said back.  I physically wanted to slap myself on the cheek for being so awkward. "Well anyway Brady asked me to be his girlfriend in fall halfway through our sophomore year." She smiled to herself. "Did you know Nick's real mother when you were growing up?"

She frowned a little, deep in thought before she looked back at me. "I only knew her for a short amount of time before she got sick. She was kind, generous, gentle and beautiful woman. I miss her sometimes." "Oh, he never told me about her." Sarah shrugged. "It takes him a long time to warm up to people."

To be honest I envied that Sarah knew more about Nick than me. "He'll come around just wait." She said and patted my shoulder. I sighed and placed my hand under my chin. She smiled at me before pulling out her phone to check the time. "Wow it's late, I'd better drop you off."

I looked over her shoulder to see the time. "Yeah you're right let's go." Sarah left a tip and hurried to catch up to me. I opened the door for her and we walked to her car. Sarah pulled out her keys and unlocked the car. I buckled up and began to search for a good song through the car's radio. The song, "Needed me" came on and I sang along.

Later, we arrived at my house and I thanked Sarah. I was walking up to my garage when Sarah called out. "H-hey June!" I turned around to look at her. "What?" I yelled back. "Do you think Brady will be okay?" She asked worriedly. I gave her a soft smile.
"He'll be okay," I assured her.

I entered my house and hummed the song stuck in my head. I turned the shower and waited for it to get hot. I stripped my clothing off and checked the water's temperature. It was warm enough; I stepped into the shower. I squirted some soap on my scrubber and washed my body and hair.

I stepped out of the shower, feeling the cold air rush to my skin. I shivered, my body reacting to it. I dried my hair with a towel and looked at my reflection. I combed my hair and braided it into a French braid. I finished brushing my teeth and slipped into my cool sheets, slowly dozing off.

Editing will be done on this chapter.