Chapter 4: June's makeover

"Come on June hurry up and get out of the car!" Sarah complained. I got out of the car and the girls smiled brightly at me, which gave me a very bad feeling. I looked back and forth between them, confused. "Why are you guys smiling at me like that?"
"We're going to give you a complete makeover" Stephanie said pulling me by the arm.

I yanked my arm out of Stephanie's grasp and looked at her. "Wait, you guys are giving me a makeover?" I asked. "Yeah" Sarah said nodding her head. "I thought you guys were going shopping for yourselves and I was just tagging along." "Oh no darling you are because the look you have seriously screams freak " said Stephanie.

Wow, way to lower my self esteem Stephanie. I knew this was a bad idea. Sarah punched Stephanie's arm and Stephanie gave Sarah a glare. "Oww what was that for?" Sarah rolled her eyes. "For being mean." Stephanie rubbed her arm up and down to soothe the pain. "Well it's true her style needs help!" I backed away from them feeling my back touch the car.

"I'll just uhh... wait in the car" I said pointing behind me. The girls stopped fighting and walked over to me. I was about to get in until I felt two pairs of arms grab me and drag me to a store. My shoes creating friction from the pull. We entered Jcpenny and I looked around the store. Everywhere you would see racks and stacks of colorful clothing. It was nearly giving me a headache from looking at all these colors.

"Ok so what's your taste in clothes?" Stephanie asked. I shook off the feeling of regret for deciding to join them and answered, "I like Pokémon, star wars, Doctor who, the hobbit, superhero icons, Harry Potter, video game icons & star trek clothing. Oh and I am a size medium in women's shirts and small in pants. Sarah replied, "Ok so you like red shirts with ruffles around the neck line and- " "No I said Pokémon shirts and pants," I said crossing my arms over my chest.

Right when Sarah was about to open her mouth and say something. Stephanie interrupted her and said, "Ok I got a better idea what about you sit at that bench at the dress room and we will bring you whatever clothing we chose for you." I walked over to the dress room and sat down on the bench. Meanwhile Sarah asked "Do you think she will like this" she asked showing her a black shirt with a v- neck line.

"Oh she will love that and we can add frayed blue jeans too" said Stephanie. They continued picking out outfits while June sat there at the dressing room bored out of her mind. What's taking them so long? The girls came up giggling and held out a ton of clothes at me. My eyes fell on the clothes the girls were holding and I shook my head vigorously. "No way in hell am I going to wear something like that!" "Come on June just try it on!" Sarah pleaded.

I sighed and got off the bench mumbling a 'fine' and snatched the bundle of clothes out of their hands. I slipped on a black shirt with a v- neckline and short frayed jeans on my body. I walked out and the girls gasped when the saw me and Stephanie said "Omg, June you look gorgeous." I blushed and thanked them. Sarah walked up behind me and said "June go look at yourself."

I faced the mirror and saw a whole new person. For the first time in a long time, I had to admit I felt pretty. I smiled and Stephanie proudly said "I knew you'd look good." "Go try on another outfit for us" Sarah said. After trying out a bunch of new clothes we walked up to the table to pay. Stephanie pulled out her credit card and swiped. It read on the screen $308.87. "Wait you're paying for me?" I asked.

"It's not a big deal I buy new clothes all the time. My parents don't care." Stephanie said not making it a big deal. "But you-" Stephanie put a finger to my lip and smiled. Which stopped me from talking. "My treat okay?" She said and fluttered her eyelashes at me. I still wanted to protest but let it slide. We walked out of the store and set the bag of clothes next to us.

Sarah walked up to the map which confused me because I thought we were just shopping at Jcpenny. Did I mention that I get confused a lot? Well now you know. Apparently I was wrong when Sarah turned around. "You're going to get a hair cut cause you have split ends."

After a bit of arguing and bickering between us, the girls finally convinced me to let them take me to salon. When we walked into the salon we were greeted by the woman with short blonde hair that looked around her thirties, standing at the table. The woman smiled when she saw Sarah. "Hello Sarah what can I do for you today?" Sarah returned the smile.

"Hi Lucy can you go tell Carson that I'm here?" Sarah asked. "Sure dear, I'll be right back." We sat waiting for a while until I saw a man with black hair with grey streaks following Lucy. "Well, well well who's this beautiful lady?" Carson asked and kissed my hand. "Oh, this is June and I was wondering if could do me a favor a give her a trim."

"Of course I can darling" he said and gave her a wink. "Now follow me ladies" he said motioning us to follow him. He grabbed some shampoo and I sat down in a black chair. He flicked the water switch on and poured some shampoo in his hands. He began to scrub and hum while washing my hair in a couple of minutes he finished.

He gave me a towel and instructed me to hold it to my head. I followed him into a red room decorated with cherry blossoms. "Wow I love your room" I commented. "Oh, thank you" he said and grabbed a black smock off a hanger. He swiftly covered my body with the smock, spun my chair to face Stephanie and Sarah, so I couldn't look in the mirror.

He picked up the scissors and began snipping. I heard a few snips and began to bite my nails nervously. I hope it's not that short. In my opinion I think I look awful with short hair. I remember when my mom took me to get a hair cut and I came out with a  haircut that went to my shoulders. The memory usually made me cringe.

When he finished he spun the chair around for me to face the mirror. I touched my hair in awe, I couldn't believe it was me. "Th-thank you" I said and smiled real big. "Oh, your welcome June" Carson replied.

"You look good! Surely the boys will be drooling when they see you" said Stephanie. I gave her a grin and turned to look at Sarah. "You look great" she said. We got up and I paid at the cash register. He smiled brightly and said "June come again ok?"

"Ok, thanks for the haircut" I said over my shoulder. He grinned and waved good bye to us after I paid. "Ok I'm tired, let's go home" Sarah groaned while dragging the shopping bags on the floor. We exited the mall with four big bags of my clothes in our hands.

We walked to the green buggy. Sarah popped the trunk open and set the bags in there. I settled in the buggy and we drove off. Tomorrow is definitely going to be different, and I couldn't wait.