十一 (11)Mesmerized

Soon, the sun hid  behind the clouds, taking away its warmth and gleam from the horizon. Skies painted in a dark blue as a half-moon rose to the surface along with twinkling stars.  While Miki walked behind Keito, she shuddered from the small cooling breeze that glided through the rustling trees. Her mind drifted off to today's events; her lips curved into a smile. She was glad that she got to meet more of Akane's friends and her grandmother Hisae, too. It was as if she unlocked a chest with some treasure; she felt like she grew a little closer to her friend. However, her thoughts replayed another event that she wanted tried to ignore.

Miki bowed her head, eyes gazing at the dirt beneath. Her vision became glossy as her lips trembled.

An engagement was the last thing she wanted. She already has to worry about her mother not accepting her career choice, now, another problem was added to her list. Miki would have never thought she would get engaged so early. An arranged marriage wasn't something unfamiliar to her. One of her cousins got engaged about a year ago once they were of age, heck, her mother was engaged to her father at a young age too.

However, compared to her other family members, Miki had never faced her betrothed.

Miki closed her eyes preventing the tears from spilling out as she wrapped her arms around herself to protect herself from the chills that went up her spine.She has witnessed too much in that house. That big house she resided in, that household with so much influence and power.

A household with a big name.

A household with riches.

A household that imprisoned her.

Miki didn't want that. She absolutely didn't want anything to do with it.

The young girl lifted her gaze to the twinkling stars above, she watched as the sky illuminated their path. It was like the horizon was the world's personal night light. Her eyes searched for the biggest gleam in the heavens to make a wish that would give her hope.

Praying that someday she could live the life that she desired.

As she continued down the trail, her body collided into a chest, stopping in her tracks. She lifted her gaze and met a gold pair of eyes looking down at her. Then, she flinched as his sleeveless hoodie brushed her skin ;he placed it on her shoulders.

"You're cold." He told her in a matter of fact tone. As if he already knew that.

Miki blinked at his gesture, unsure how to react. Taking him a few seconds to process, Keito's eyes widen from what had just occurred.

In the middle of an alley way, they both stood in a pregnant silence, holding each other's gaze . The loud crickets became a silent melody; the fresh leaves no longer an aroma through that tickled their nose. A slight aroma of unknown origins his nose that came from Miki. Unbeknownst to him, slowly, Keito closed the distance between them making Miki shuffle backwards. Without paying attentionshe tripped and began to stumble, but with quickness Keito caught her arm, pulling her towards him.

Both their cheeks heated up at the small distance between each other. Under the bright hue that lifted up the skies, Miki got a closer look at his features; silver curls danced along the passing winds while his attention remained on her. Those pair of golden eyes were covered by silver long lashes glistened underneath the moonlight. For some reason they drew her in like a child discovering a fascinating object. She understood why he was popular during his academy days; features like his were a rarity. This boy was no pin in a haystack. Without realizing it, she stretched out her hand and reached out to him; Keito flinched as Miki's fingertips gently  brushed his cheeks.

He prayed that she didn't notice his temperature rise from her touch.

Still in a daze, Miki has never noticed how he looked so...so