Chapter 5: A Date

Sunday. The sun was shining warmly in the sky. Morning in the Condowall‌ was always filled with the sound of nature; the chirping of birds, the crow of cock, the mooing of a cow, etc. It may not be the case for the residents who were far from the farm environment, but such a thing was common in Atkins' household.

Like an average teenager, Arthur would usually wake up late on weekends like this, but today was an exception. As his alarm clock rang, he woke up with a refreshing feeling. After turning off his alarm clock, he tidied up his bed, took a shower, and wore his favorite shirt, a red bilbao flannel plus jeans.

"Good morning." He said as he went down the stairs.

"Good morning." His mother greeted him back from the kitchen.

Preparing his usual breakfast-a limited-edition Mr. Begle cereal with fresh milk directly from the neighborhood-on the table, he hummed unintentionally while eating. Seeing him like this, the white samoyed couldn't help but wonder.

"Arthur, did something good happen?"

Hearing the woman's voice, Arthur became aware of his mother's attention to him. Still having cereal in his mouth, he found his mother already sitting across the dining table, locking her fingers under her chin with a meaningful smile.

"Eh? What do you mean, mother?"

"You look so happy today, like a child on Christmas morning. Care to share it with your mother here?"

Realizing he was acting too obvious, he could feel the heat rising on his face in embarrassment.

"I-It's nothing important, mother. I just have a plan with my friend to hang out together today. It's nothing special, really."

"Is that true?" The female canine pondered. "You didn't look this happy when you went out with that shiba kid."

"W-Well, I don't mean him."

I'm sorry, Kazuki. It doesn't mean that I don't like to hang out with you.

Arthur apologized inwardly, though it was pointless as the person himself was unaware of the fact.

"I made a new friend yesterday, and today will be the first time we hang out together." He fidgeted his toes under the table. "Honestly, I am looking forward to it to the point that I couldn't sleep well last night."

"I see." She nodded her head in understanding. "So, it's a date."

Arthur coughed.

"W-W-What are you saying, mother? How can you come to that conclusion?"

"So it's true!" She looked happy while clapping her hand on the side. "You have been acting strangely for the past few days. As I thought, it is the gaze of a man falling in love. How can I be your mother if I didn't notice?"

"Wait, I never said that it's tru-"

"Oh, Charlie, look! Our son has finally found his soulmate. Isn't it wonderful?"

The white samoyed chirped excitedly while nudging the gray wolf beside her. The male just sipped his tea in silence, ignoring his wife.

"Come on Charlie, don't give me the silent treatment. Say something, will you?"

"...Elsa, the tea is too cold. Can you make it again?"

"*sigh* Very well. I'll make a new one for you."

Elsa stood up from her seat and went to the kitchen, leaving the father and son in awkward silence. Five minutes later, she came back with a steaming porcelain kettle.