Chapter 1 "Lockdown"

Be sure to check out the Discord for more updates! I'm far more active over there ( Link in also in my bio ) - https://discord.gg/BjHcGvPUBV

June 15th, 2040: United States White House

"Can someone, anyone, tell me why my red line to Russia just went dead!" John Dresden, a first-term president and having only been in office for six months, yelled over all the personnel in the Oval Office before one of his secret service agents grabbed his right arm.

"We need to get you to the Emergency Shelter now, Mister President." John nodded and followed. Just outside Vice President Harold was also being escorted.

"What the hell is going on Harold?" John walked shoulder to shoulder with him, confusion on both their faces.

"Communications have ceased function along with us losing contact with all of our satellite communication." Harold stated before fixing his gaze ahead of them as the secret service team opened the doors to the war room. The words hit John hard, had China found out about the deal and is attempting a pre-emptive strike? Surely the Russians hadn't sold him out... We both gain massive advantages from this treaty.

Inside the war room, the Head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Chief of the Navy, Director of the CIA, and many generals either sitting or standing around a glass table. Dozens of files were scattered across it, many with red text plastered across them.

"We need to go to DEFCON two and prepare for the worst. I have already scrambled every fighter and setting them up to protect our important structures and dense civilian populations." One General stated, causing the Head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff to jump in.

"What good does that do if the Chinese or Russians have launched nuclear ICBMs! We need to retaliate with full force--"

"We will do no such thing, Edwards!" John barked, causing every head at the table to turn to him with concerned looks. "I was just on the line with Russia to finalize a defensive agreement before all communications went dark. We will hold off until we can get a firm understanding of what the hell is going on. In the meantime, I want the Navy and Air Force to use every radar installation we have to watch our coasts and to report anything they see. I don't even care if it's something that we would normally ignore, I want to know about it. In the meantime get in contact with NORAD and have them on full alert."

"Mister President, our entire communications array has gone dark, we can't contact them" One of the aids responded. John's face contorted.

"Isn't there a NORAD site here in Washington?" John questioned, the aid simply nodded. "Then fucking drive there and inform them!" He pointed to the doors and the aid sprinted out.

The Emergency Shelter was nothing short of an orchestra of chaos, with people scrambling in all directions trying to get information on what was going on and how the entire US satellite and communication networks went dead. Many hours passed with most, if not all, of the Presidents' staff sweating bullets waiting for anything to happen. But so far, apart from the complete satellite and communication blackout, nothing else had occurred.

"Mister President!" John turned around to see the aid he had ordered to the NORAD site had returned, panting.

"The NORAD base here has re-established communications with some of the systems but it's extremely fuzzy. They also stated that they have still not heard from our Canadian counterparts yet, only American. They are requesting we set up a hardline as soon as possible, sir." The aid forced through heavy breaths.

"Thank you, you look like you could use a break. Go and rest for a bit, we aren't out of this yet son." John smiled, shooing the aid off he turned back to the table. "Where are we with the radar screen?" The Chief of the Navy stood up.