Chapter 8 "War Comes A Knockin'"

" War Comes A Knockin' "

June 25th, 2040: The White House, Oval Office

"Yes I understand Larry, we are all still shocked by the situation, but Governor McKenzie needs that steel if they are to build new steel foundries. We have enough vehicles in storage around the country to last us for a while." John twirled a pen while holding the phone. The last thing he wanted to deal with was the mega-corporations.

"And what am I supposed to tell the board then? Oh sorry but you are going to have to lay off millions of workers because your steel is being taken for other uses?" Larry mocked.

"Actually yes, and if you don't want me to fly over there and tell them myself I suggest you go do it now before I do, good day Governor." John slammed the phone down before leaning back into his chair and letting out a breath of frustration. This country was going to tear itself apart over steel of all things.

Opening the file on his desk, John glanced at the list he had been given showing everything the country was not in a deficit of; which turned out to be mostly everything. To save resources production had halted for some things such as vehicles, planes and other items with long life spans, with only the military being able to continue normal operations, or at a reduced capacity if the situation allowed.

While pondering the numbers the door to the oval office opened to have the secretary of the treasury step in.

"Mister President, I hope you are doing well today?" John stood to greet the man.

"Better than the last few, that's for sure Omer. Please, sit." John motioned to the two black couches. "So what is it you wished to discuss?"

"It's about our currency, or rather, what we lost because of the transfer. Due to offshore accounts or simply being outside US borders, we have lost about five hundred billion dollars. I request we start printing before we risk deflation." Omer watched as John's eyes widened with the number rattling around his head.

"Good Lord, alright, you have my permission; but turn some of it into stimulus checks for the people. How is our projected spending so far?"

"Bad to put it mildly. I sincerely hope Aaron has managed to secure some trade agreement for us otherwise the deficit is going to balloon." Omer said, leaning back into the couch.

The two were interrupted when the door opened once again with Harold stepping in, holding a file.

"John, Secretary. I have news on our incursion to the port city." The two watched as Harold opened the file and placed it on the coffee table.

"Aaron has made successful contact with The Ruppriecht Kingdom and with their ruler, King Heinrich. He has been successful in securing a trade deal of five million bushels of wheat for ten thousand gold coins, along with partial ownership of the port city of Händluf and the surrounding region. The deal is being finalized as we speak with it being official in the coming days should all go well." John could only laugh at the very one-sided deal they got.

"By God, make sure to give Aaron my thanks, this is far better than anything I was expecting!" John smiled at the one piece of good news he had received all week.

"I should add that Aaron did express concern about a potential threat. The Autoriario Empire, as it is called, appears to be one of the dominant nations on this continent, having managed this through complete and total military conquest, including the genocide of any who stand in their path towards complete imperial authority." John's face turned slightly white.