Chapter 38 Accursed Land

ANNOUNCEMENT - First and foremost, apologies for the long wait! After Volume 1 had finished, and college wrapping up. I didn't realize just how burnt out I was, and getting back into writing was a struggle; not to mention that Volume 1 is... a damn mess to be blunt. So for the health of the story, going forward I am going to be retconning information to keep the story interesting and consistent. Expect a 0.5 info chapter in the near future, containing everything that is changing. If you want more consistent updates, or wish to become more apart of this community, be sure to check out the discord! ( Link in bio )   

CHAPTER 38

"Accursed Land"

September 15th, 2040: High Above The Mesophytic Forest, Former Washington D.C Area

Holding on for dear life as the Mil Mi-26 rocked and vibrated heavily. Tanner's rocky vision glanced at the other scientist--a Russian, who was smirking from the opposite side of the helicopter.

"What is the matter, Tanner? Never flown before?" Through broken English, the Russian laughed.

"You may have led on this, Kirilka. But couldn't you have picked a more stable helicopter and one from this damn century!" At the same time, the helicopter was rocked by turbulence yet again. With Tanner grabbing some cargo netting around come crates as support.

"Well, you were the one who wanted to bring everything Jessica requested in one go. We were the only ones capable of doing so. If it were not for the generator, you could have taken one of your own." Waving his left hand in the general direction of the massive yellow generator they were transporting, Kirilka's eyes were more interested in the clipboard on his lap that was stacked with documents. "You know anything about these radiological locations? Point New York and Point Washington?"

"Only the basics right now. The radiation in these locations is the highest we've seen so far. Where The White House once stood having the Geiger counters becoming saturated." Immediately, Kirilka's head snapped up from the clipboard. His eyes wide open like he had just seen a ghost.

"Are you sure? Those were rated to go up very high."

"Well, given the fact that they returned a flat zero. We're fairly positive that there is far more localized radiation than we can calculate at this time."

With Tanner and Kirilka going over reports to pass the time. In the cockpit, Petrov, Yeltsin, Talanov, and a spectating Moskvin were watching the forest beneath them pass by.

"Radiation detection showing only background levels." Fiddling around with the hastily installed geiger counters to their helicopter, Talanov glanced back at the map he had taped to a free section on his panel. "We should be getting close to the main research camp."

"Too bad we're here on business. Canada has been on my 'must visit' list for a while." Peering outside his side of the cockpit, Petrov examined the untouched nature below them.

"Well you certainly are visiting it now, just not how anyone expected you to." With a smirk on his face, Yeltsin looked over at Petrov who only returned a low chuckle. Unfortunately for them, the mood was shattered by Yeltsin noticing something strange.

"What the? Moskvin, you seeing this? 2 o'clock." Yeltsin motioned his head in the direction he announced. Walking over in the cramped cockpit, Moskvin's eyes widened in bewilderment.

"I see it... still trying to believe it though." Standing next to Yeltsin, Moskvin simply continued to stare in front of them. For just below them by a couple hundred feet among the trees, a fractal pattern of dancing light performed for an invisible audience; and around the light, it appeared that reality itself was cracking around it akin to marked ice from skating. As they flew closer, a slow then erratic ticking filled the cockpit. Looking behind himself, Moskvin watched as Talanov played around with a side panel.