Chapter 23.5 "F**k Around And Find Out

CHAPTER 23.5

"F**k Around And Find Out"

August 8th, 2040: Jeoji Village, Geuleo-Ondouh Region, Geuman Sangsung Yeonbang

Wiping the sweat from his forehead, Ryuk leaned against his scythe. Through heavy breaths, he glanced back at Gyeon who was laying on the sheep pasture with a wooden block and a carving knife.

"Hey Ryuk! Half of the day is already gone and we still have the rest of this field to harvest." To his right, Jeong was still at it with him doing large, clean swings with his scythe.

"You make it sound like we will not get the harvest in before the cold weather hits." Picking up his scythe, Ryuk went back to cutting his lane. "Relax a little, we still have many days before the first snowfall. The one you should be shouting at is Gyeon--Hey! One of the sheep is wandering Gyeon!"

"Yeah yeah, I got it." With no urgency seeing that the sheep was more interested in longer grass, Gyeon used his shepherd staff and waved it near the sheep, causing it to move back to the rest of the flock. "We will need to get Yeong and Jeom to shear them again soon, is the price for wool going up again?"

"I believe so, a passing merchant a few days ago said something about Lord Jung-Hee wanting more fine cloth for his castle, so most of the available wool around here is being sold directly to him, rather than through the guild." Ryuk replied. Pausing for a moment he looked up at their small, but quaint village; and gazing into the far distance--being on a downward sloping hill, he could see Lord Jung-Hee's castle walls sticking out past a small mountain. While The Great Mangjeol Dae Mal-Chin did not bless the land with rich minerals, he had given the valley so much fertility that it never changed from its lush green for anything but winter. A time where the land could rest, and his village must either use the storage food they have, or go fishing in the lake at the bottom of the valley. Though being far off, it was a last resort as the winters could be so harsh to the point that the roads became unusable, damning any villages or towns that did not prepare in time. Refocusing his mind on cutting the wheat and trimming the dirt road, Ryuk did not realize that he was the only one working. Looking back at Jeong with a raised eyebrow, Ryuk saw that he was squinting his eyes.

"Something in your eyes?" He questioned, not getting a simple head shake, followed by Jeong pointing into the distance.

"Something flying is coming this way."

Looking at where Gyeon was pointing, he was correct in saying that something was flying towards them. However, the simple one object had turned into three, then nine objects as it lumbered across the sky.

"What In the Lord's holy good graces... what is that?"

(Author Note: See image at top of chapter cause Wattpad formatting sucks)

With the speed of a hawk on the hunt, creatures black as a moonless night, soared overhead, making a deafening roar as they passed. Feeling a fear they had never felt before, Ryuk, Gyeon and Jeong watched, frozen, as the formation flew over them and continued past. Gyeon was the first to regain his senses. With his hands working faster than his mind could process, he had already begun to crudely carve the odd creature's shape into the piece of wood. Once the creatures had become nothing but a single black dot in the distance again. Ryuk and Jeong looked at each other with faces whiter than fresh snow, followed by both throwing down their scythes and sprinting back to their village as fast as their bodies would allow.

A few hundred meters above them not too long ago...

"Oh man, we're gonna give these poor bastards nightmares for weeks." Goodwin chuckled, leaning back into his seat, he looked to his left to see their water count had indeed gone up...by two percent. "Fuckin' hell, this was not worth antagonizing the locals for a glass of water. Any denser clouds higher up?" Looking to the right and behind him, their navigator, Rolf, scanned over his radar.