Chapter 20.5 "I Ain't No Fortunate Wizard"

CHAPTER 20.5

"I Ain't No Fortunate Wizard"

June 27th, 2040: The Manor Of Magic, Unknown Jungle

"Alright Cameron, from the top!" Sergeant Walker once again clapped his hands together as he flipped the wooden table back onto its legs, he then quickly stepped to the side of the grand library. No more than a few meters away, Cameron readied himself with Danger Stick in his right hand.

"Alright, let's try this again. Weightless." Pointing Danger stick at the table, the blue gemstone shone a bright blue before fading. Cautiously shuffling to the table, Walker with one finger tried to lift the table; and like most of the attempts before, the table acted as if gravity had been turned off, sending the table spinning into the air. Unfortunately the spectacle lasted only about fifteen seconds before it came crashing down with Cameron panting.

"That's...all I...got...Sergeant." Feeling like he just ran a marathon, Cameron set down Danger Stick and fell on his ass. From a nearby corner of the library, a whistle echoed where Joseph and the fox spirit were, whose name they came to know simply as Siv.

"That was a whole two seconds longer! You're making progress!" Giving a thumbs up at Cameron who then turned his attention to Siv who started to do American sign language.

"Magic is something that is learned in time. However I am still impressed that you have managed to perform what you have so far with no knowledge."

"Well thanks for the compliment. But I really doubt once we get back state-side, that I will be allowed to keep Danger Stick."

"Ehh, I don't know man. I gotta feeling once we understand magic better, a whole new branch of The Armed Forces will be created dedicated to magic. The United States Battlemages." Pondering on his own words, Joseph was brought back to reality with Walker's laugh.

"That has got to be the stupidest name I've ever heard, I love it!" Holding his stomach from laughing so hard, Walker forced himself to sit down.

"So Siv. What is your story?" With Joseph turning back to the fox spirit she sat and stared at her hands for a moment before replying.

"I am not sure anymore. All I remember clearly is wandering around this library's grand halls for what has felt all my life. I have only experienced a few brief memories into my past before they quickly fade; Most being of my younger self when my parents were still alive--or that is what I am led to believe."

"From the condition of the manor's exterior, it is in quite the state of disrepair. With how natural decay works. This place could be a few years old or if made from specially treated materials, or just fucking magic, it could be way beyond a hundred years." Cameron replied, having regained the energy to talk but with his legs still refusing to function normally.

"I would expect my age to be in the hundreds simply because the decay has started to reach here. See the cracks in the skylight?" With Siv pointing upwards to the day-light sky, she was indeed right about the skylight glass having small but noticeable cracks around the support beams.

"Well, if we do get out of here alive. President Dresden will go through hell and back to get this place secured." Gaining more of his energy back, Cameron picked up Danger Stick and examined the blue gemstone; with it seemingly pulsating a small blue light at its center, akin to a heartbeat.

"On the topic of your ruler, what is he like? I have never heard of this kind of way to rule a nation." Siv questioned, with Joseph being the one to answer first.

"Well to start, he isn't a ruler, just another elected president in a long line of presidents. From what I can recall, he was a lieutenant general during 'The Africa War'. From the get-go, he was handed an entire field army to sort out after the previous general had been given the boot. At this point in the war, it was clear that America wasn't going to win, so President Dresden focused on maintaining what we did have; all the while doing concentrated combined arms maneuvers into areas that he was certain we would win. After the war was over and the Democrats got absolutely chewed out by the public, the media and the army over the disastrous handling of the war. Dresden ran as one of the candidates for the Republican Party and won handily with nearly everyone in the party voting for him."