Chapter 10 "The Grim Reality"

Chapter 10

                                                              "The Grim Reality"

June 26th, 2040: Yokota Airbase, Therapy Room

Lieutenant Matthew Rogers made his way through the winding hallways toward one of the many psychiatrist rooms, having been ordered by high command to seek help or be discharged for 'misconduct'. He was none too keen on this but didn't exactly have a choice.

"Which fuckin' room was it again?" Matthew pulled a piece of paper from his camo jacket and found himself not too far from the room he should be in.

Upon reaching the door he knocked before entering and was greeted with a view of one of the more luxurious rooms. There were a few bookshelves filled with all manner of texts and in the center was the classic couch and nearby armchair.

"Ah, you must be Mr. Rogers." A thick German accent greeted him. Turning to his right he found a man in a dark grey blazer and lighter grey shirt. "I will be with you in just a moment. Just need to finish this uhh...paperwork here." The man lifted the papers he had on his desk.

"No problem doc." Matthew took the liberty of settling himself on the couch. Laying upwards and facing the white ceiling. "Were you going for an old 90s style with this room?"

"Yes, I was. I found in my research that having a more...oh what's the word in English, klassisch umm." The psychiatrist repeatedly snapped his fingers.

"Classic?" Matthew replied.

"Yes, thank you. A more classic room like this makes my visitors more comfortable and relaxed." The man nodded before setting aside his paperwork and grabbing a clipboard.

"Now we can start. I am Leon Strätch." Leon stretched out a hand and Matthew shook it. "Pleasure."

"Now, we are here today because of something that happened a few days ago, no? Leon watched as Matthew's face contorted uncomfortably.

"Yes, unfortunately. I'm sure you're aware of what happened." Matthew stared at the ceiling, not wanting to make eye contact.

"Only from the report General Wolf gave me. But I have not heard your side of the story, a key part in all of this, correct?" Leon gave a smile.

"Fair point, but I don't know where to even start. The whole thing was turned into a shit show when we spotted the convoy. We managed to neutralize the soldiers but we were not fast enough to save some of the civilians." Matthew clenched his fists while listening to the sound of a pencil on paper.

"Then what happened?" Leon asked but was only met with silence. Looking up from his clipboard he saw that Matthew was trying his darndest not to show any emotions but was starting to falter. "If you do not tell me the whole story, I cannot help you Mr. Rogers. Start from the very beginning, and we will work through this together."

June 23th, 2040: Unknown Dirt Road

The convoy had been traveling for days now with the hope of reaching Yokota Airbase before completely running out of fuel. Having started with nearly thirty vehicles, now down to a meager twelve to conserve fuel, destroying Bradleys and strykers first, then the trucks. Thank God they only had one tank to deal with. Matthew had half his body sticking out from the commander's hatch on his tank, Cancer Stick. Being the lead vehicle, he wanted to make sure to see any surprises ahead of them.