Chapter 28 "M.A.D"

CHAPTER 28

"M.A.D"

August 30th, 2040: Alfonso City Capital, The Autoriario Empire

Dipping his quill into its ink jar Emperor Alfonso paused for a moment to admire his late-night studying. Over the past few days, he had practically created his own book about American and dwarven constructs, even adding the mythical flying ship sightings in the far north to his work. Although it was clear that the American land, sea and air constructs were far more advanced, the repeated mention of railroads from his shadows in Ruppriecht, together with copied images of the steel carriages, showed many similarities to the dwarves' carts. Leaning back in his chair, Alfonso tapped his fingers on his desk.

"Dwarven steam... I wonder, do the Americans use steam? Did they ever, or is it something else?" Before losing himself in thought once more over American constructs, a knock on his study's door brought him back.

"Your excellency? I bring a letter from President Dresden." As the door opened, Itla stepped in, holding a white envelope. Waving him over, Alfonso grabbed the letter and was immediately confounded by how to open it as there was no wax seal. After a few seconds of fiddling with the flap, he realized it had been adhered to the envelope itself. Taking his letter opener, he threaded it through a small gap near the fold and pulled up... only for it to nearly be taken out of his other hand as the envelope fought against his knife. After a few more seconds of fiddling around, he managed to start a tear and cut open the envelope then looked back up at Itla with a death glare. For his part, the old wizard was fighting hard to refrain from smiling but had let a slight smirk leak through.

"Tell anyone about this and I will have you executed." Taking the letter out of the envelope, Alfonso was immediately in awe of the quality of the paper, but even more so by how clean the writing was.

To Emperor Alfonso, Emperor and ruler of The Autoriario Empire

I have received your letter inviting me to your banquet. Although I wish to accept with all haste, my advisors, and more importantly my own nation's law, prevent me from attending without due protection. With that in mind, I request that our Central Intelligence Agency and The Secret Service be allowed to station themselves inside your capital for a minimum of three months; though they would prefer six. This will give them ample time to assess, remove any deemed threats and thoroughly plan my visit. I do not know for certain but I suspect you are familiar with the threat of assassinations. The United States is well accustomed to it and therefore has protective measures in place for my safety anytime I must travel.

However, though I am inclined to accept your invitation to this banquet, I am concerned about the presence of certain lords, religious leaders and the practices of your empire. I must also be cautious as a meeting with you could greatly upset the wider American citizenry. From what we have been told, and observed ourselves, The Autoriario Empire's practices against the races known as Demi-Humans and Beastmen--we know them simply as Hybrids--is of great concern to us. And while I do believe that we both understand the importance of our two powers communicating, The United States can not in good faith conduct diplomacy with an empire that treats its minority races not as humans, but rather as animals.

If, however, certain conditions were met - for example, an embassy being established in your capital, laws being passed that either convert slavery into indentured servitude or abolish the practice completely, the opening of favored trade towards The United States and so on. We are open to more complex arrangements, dare I say, perhaps even a mutual defense agreement?

I like to believe that we both know a war between our respective nations would be rather damaging. And, with that said, I extend this letter as an olive branch for peace between us. Not because we are humans, but because of a necessity to bring much-needed stability to this divided world. I know you are more intelligent than you would have us believe. Do not let blind faith be the reason for your downfall, Alfonso. One should always question everything, should they be told a lie by someone they trust most.