Chapter 5 "Gunboat Diplomacy Remastered"

June 24th, 2040: Approximately 20 nautical miles outside an unknown city:

Task Force: Pioneer

"Turning to the stock market, the Dow Jones has finally closed with a positive of two hundred points, though it still needs to make up the more than fifteen thousand it lost because of the 'transfer' as it is being dubbed online." The news anchor turned to a map of the continental US.

"Looking at the states, the National Guard has been deployed with martial law being declared in the following states, Texas, California, Illinois, Washington DC and New York. Riots in San Francisco have reached day five with the looting of grocery stores and pharmacies being the most common targets; Although we should state that some militias in the city have taken upon themselves to defend these businesses as the local law enforcement is already struggling to maintain order." On the screen a video of some men and women holding a wide variety of firearms with some having military surplus gear. Behind them was a store that just the night before had its front glass smashed but the steel shutters saved it from being ransacked. The scene changed again to a picture of the White House and President John giving a speech he had prepared a few days prior.

"President Dresden's call to arms as it is being coined, has had some success with the Democrats and Republicans passing 'The Technology Failsafe Act' and 'The National Production Bill' passed with little to no opposition along with many on both sides publicly announcing their willingness to work with the opposing side. The last time we saw this kind of unity was during the nine-eleven attack, and that was over thirty-nine years ago." Growing bored of the news from home as it was much the same, Aaron turned it off.

Sitting inside his temporary office onboard the USS Gerald R. Ford, ambassador Aaron swiped through a collection of photos of the city they were approaching. The USS Florida had chosen to stay outside the port and return home with the fleet. During that time they had built quite the report on the city. One key feature they marked in red lettering was this city has multiple races of humanoids living together, with humans making up the majority. Aaron was taken out of his trance with a knock on his office door with a junior officer giving a shallow nod.

"Fleet Admiral Wilkins had requested you on the bridge." Returning the nod, Aaron stacked and placed the photos into a safe in the corner.

Stepping out of his office, Aaron started the claustrophobic journey to the bridge, noticing there being more people about than usual. "I guess we are getting close now." Aaron pulled down on his suit jacket. Climbing up the staircases to the bridge another officer directed him to a room where Jameson along with other admirals and captains were looking over a top down image of the city; taken from a satellite that had flown over a couple of days ago.

"Aaron, glad you made it. We were just discussing our approach plan and we wanted your opinion." Jameson gestured to the image on the table. Aaron placed both hands on the table before gesturing with his right.

"I suggest we park here and send either a destroyer or patrol boat to dock. I don't think their port is deep enough for anything larger." Aaron gave a smirk at Jameson who returned it with pleasure.

"Want me to send up some fighter squadrons?" Jameson asked.

"No. We don't want to spook them into thinking we are invading them. I'm already having second thoughts about bringing the fleet this close, but the show of force may play into our favor. Seeing us as a superior power should allow my requests to be met with little trouble." Aaron fixed his gaze back into the image. "Chances are though, if I am to meet with their ruler, we will need to travel to their capitol. Have a helicopter on standby for me if I need to travel along with a protection detail." Aaron flicked up his right wrist to reveal a gem-encrusted watch. "I suppose I should get myself ready. We'll be making history here soon." Aaron left the room to retrieve his briefcase from his office.