Chapter 17 "America's Shadow"

CHAPTER 17

"America's Shadow"

July 11th, 2040: C.I.A New York Branch, New York

Inside the director's office, located just a few floors below the top floor. Director Stevens rocked his black-leather office chair rhythmically from side to side. All the while, his focus was mostly directed to the flatscreen tv in front of his desk. On-screen, was President Dresden giving a speech to congress but more importantly, to the nation at large.

"My fellow Americans. Just over one month ago, our reality experienced a paradigm shift, both to our way of living and our view on the universe...shattered. I know many of you have been traumatized because of the transfer, and are afraid of what it could mean, should we look at the larger picture. I also know that many of you are desperate for answers about your friends, brothers, sisters or loved ones in the military. To that I say, this administration is doing everything within its power to bring you answers; this however, has brought grave news from across The North Atlantic. My fellow Americans, we are at war with a foreign power. On the 26th of June, Ramstein Airbase was deliberately attacked, by approximately eight-thousands soldiers from this foreign power. But by the brave men and women at Ramstein, their attack was thwarted and the enemy was reported retreating while sustaining staggering losses. Once news of this act had reached me, as acting Commander in Chief, I ordered the deployment of forty-thousand soldiers to Ramstein. On the 1st of July, I approved the request to commence Operation Phoenix. For the past three days and many more to come, airstrikes against these aggressors are being conducted, and as I speak, plans for offensive campaigns are being created to launch a decisive counter-attack against these aggressors, with the objective of rescuing as many Americans as humanly possible. With the support of congress, an additional fifty billion dollars has been allocated towards offensive and defensive structures to bases outside US soil. Also, under advisement from Secretary-General Edwards, the purchase of war bonds is now in effect. To those who wish to support our military but more importantly, wish to keep inflation from becoming rampant, I implore you, buy these bonds. Looking towards our ever-depleting emergency stockpile of resources. I have signed an executive order for large-scale prospecting and extraction of resources inside the United States and inside the former territory of Mexico and Canada. However, it will take time for this to be put into effect and to be used effectively. So I plead with you--reduce, reuse and recycle everything. In light of all of this uncertainty, let me remind you, my fellow Americans, who I am. I, John Dresden, do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. So help me God. I swore to this oath, and I will not break it under any means. All that I ask for in return, is cooperation with my fellow Americans. Right now, in this world, we only have ourselves to trust. But come hell or high water, we will survive this. May God bless you, and may God bless these United States of America." Finishing his speech, all the members of Congress gave a round of applause, with many or all standing.

"For a former lieutenant general, he isn't too bad at this whole presidential thing." A woman's voice from his right spoke. Swinging his chair to face the double doors, Stevens cracked a smile.

"He still needs to know when to bite his tongue, Captain Cortez. Making promises like that is what kills most." Flicking back to the tv, he turned it off. "So, I assume this isn't a social visit?" With a curious look, he noticed the files the Captain was holding.

"Nope. In fact, I bring some information forwarded by Echelon Eight." Captain Cortez walked over to the director's desk, placing said files onto it. "Turns out, there is quite a bit of dissent inside The Plusieurs Kingdom's royal family and a few nobles of interest. Agent Renard has reported with three possible flips." Cortez watched as the director picked up the first file. Only to stop at the first page with a shocked expression.