Part 4

"The first round of selection will be targeting how well you know your etiquette as a noble lady and quite possibly, the crown princess. We will be observing how well you perform these tasks as we teach them to you starting today."

I gotta thank my mother for this one. She never allowed me to slouch even when I was tired. Once, she came in at night to check up on me and was horrified to see me sleeping with my mouth open. I somehow managed to get rid of that sleeping habit as well.

They observed us as we all practiced our postures by walking with heavy dresses. Then we demonstrated the proper manners when eating, like what utensil to pick, and how our elbows shouldn't be on the table.

They also wanted us to take a written test to see how well we know how to read and write.

For about a week, we woke up in the early morning and then came back to our rooms at night tired of the lessons we had to take.

By the end of it, some of the girls obviously looked bored or just worn out from all the things they wanted us to demonstrate. Seeing all the dejected faces, Court Lady Choi softly chuckled. "A crown princess must not show that she is displeased with a situation, and instead, persevere through it. On the good side, I have some news that shall bring your moods up. Once the results for the first round is over, you will all start to visit his highness twice a week to make the process go by even faster."

"Oh my" "we will spend time with his highness?" "My heart is already fluttering" the girls' chatters grew louder as the excitement suddenly buzzed everywhere.

"We will look through all the tests you submitted and the things we recorded, as well as the physical check ups, to see who gets eliminated. 15 will be eliminated from the 30 of you sitting here with me today."

Would I be happy to be eliminated? I suddenly had that thought and I somehow felt sad thinking about it. There are people here that make me want to stay for a little longer like Hyerin, maybe the mysterious crown prince, and that one general I met that night...

Oh my god, Goeun! Snap out of it!
How could you be thinking of him when you guys only met one time for a brief moment. I shook away my thoughts and came back to reality.

"We took up most of your days so we are granting you a 3 day break. In those three days, we will be reviewing everything, so you guys are free to go." "Starting.. now" Court lady Choi smiled at how we all bowed before excitingly rushing out of the room.

"ahh, the fresh air of freedom" Hyerin walked beside me purposely taking a deep breath of air.

I played along with her smelling the air "I agree, the air feels a lot more crisp and rich." She playfully smacked my arm and we both started to laugh at how childish we were being.

"Lady Han Goeun?" I heard my name being called by a familiar deep voice and I turned my head around to see him again.

"General, what brings you here?" I was genuinely surprised that he personally came to seek me out.

"There are some private matters that I had to discuss with you" he looked between me and Hyerin and she seemed to sense that.

"I'll take my leave now, see you later Goeun." she gave me a small wave before going in the opposite direction from us.

"Do you want to talk about it here orr?"

"Let's go to your old room first. It's about that man from that night."

"oh" was all I could say as I saw him turn around and lead the way.

What was I expecting? Did I want him to invite me for tea and then confess his love for me at first sight? pfft

.....

Yeah, I secretly did

I struggled to catch up to him since he was walking way too fast for my pace. "I'm embarrassed to ask this but could you slow down a bit. I can't seem to catch up with you."

He stopped abruptly and I ran into his back with a thud, unable to stop myself in time.

"Sorry about that, I don't usually act like this" I embarrassingly said as I rubbed my nose from the impact.

"No, It's my fault" he started to walk again but in a slower pace, so I could walk next to him normally. I secretly took a side glance and saw that he was wearing a maroon color today.

I wonder how old he is, he looks pretty young to be a general..

Once he opened the door, I looked inside to see that it was completely empty. My maids had gotten all my stuff from this room and moved me to another one after that incident.

"So what happened general? Did that man escape or something?" I jokingly asked but seeing how he kept his serious expression, I gulped.

"You aren't serious right? the security here must be so tight to let someone like him to escape..."

"Yes, he escaped. But we intentionally let him go"

We stared at each other for a bit as I was trying to process that information. I tried to keep calm but the memories replayed in my head when that man held a knife to my throat.

His chilling voice as he threatened to kill me made me shudder. Once I came back to my senses I grabbed onto the generals arms without thinking. I shook him saying "Are you crazy? Why would you let an idiotic psycho go loose again?"

He seemed to be caught off guard by my actions but I only cared about my safety right now. Manners could wait.

"He was a man planning to murder his highness" that gives you more of a reason to put 3, no 4 more locks outside his cell or even killing him would be a reasonable option

"But you let him go?" "Intentionally at that?" My sarcasm could be noticed from a mile away but now I was rethinking on how he was even appointed as a general in the first place.

"In order to catch the bigger fish, we let go of a small bait" once he said that, everything seemed to click into place. oh, he wants to catch the person that gives orders to that man.

"I understand you want to catch the bigger fish but.." I smiled at the general "That small bait will surely kill me when he has the chance." "Just think about it, I smashed an heavy object at his face which led him to bleed badly. If he has the guts to kill a prince, I'm probably worth a mere pebble that he can shove away anytime he wants, dear general."

I didn't realize I was still holding onto his arms until I noticed our close proximity. Once I backed away, I was going to turn around and leave until he suddenly spoke

"We strengthened our palace guards so no one would be able to come in. And if it puts you at ease, I, will protect you if needed." I didn't think I would forgive someone that easily, but I guess I am an easy woman.

"Thank you, you saying that will certainly help me sleep better tonight." I made sure my sarcastic comment made it through his ears before bowing and taking my leave.