Part 26

A week passed after that fun day, the weather is now getting colder and windier. I sent Yohan to work in the morning in a sleepy state, due to the fact that we reorganized our room late into the night. The inspiration just sparked out of nowhere so I forced him to move our furniture around.

Going into his study room, I cleaned his desk out myself and put the books back on his shelf. Grabbing the scrolls, I was about to put it in his drawer when a certain envelope fell out midway. "Would it be too nosy for me to check inside?.." There was no name on the front, making my curiosity grow even more. Opening it, I pulled out the letter that was neatly folded. Scanning through the content, my eyes fixated on the bottom writing.

My mother wants to leave immediately so I have no other choice but to go. You know how much she is dependent on me. I hope you will wait for me to come back because I promise you, I will persuade her to return. I'll always wait for the day when I'll run back in your arms again, I love you Yohan

My mouth became dry as I put it back in its place, making sure it looked almost untouched. A weird silence consumed me as I put the situation together. It seems like they loved each other dearly, so why did Yohan get married to me? Now I feel like the horrible wench that stole someone else's man.

Walking away from his study, I stepped out into the garden, making my way to the swing that Yohan had personally ordered to be built. When I told him that I never sat on these things or played games when I was younger, he immediately hired someone to get to work. Chuckling, I sat down, swinging back and forth a few times.

With that kind of personality, he can make anyone fall in love with him. I just couldn't filter out my thoughts anymore, the nasty and disturbing feelings crept up to me. I'm not an angel all the time, I have feelings such as jealousy, sadness, anger, resentment, and they are all slowly starting to resurface. I kept getting thoughts like I'm not enough for him. He still loves her, that's why he kept that letter. He'll abandon you if she ever comes back.
You're just a replacement..
"Goeun?"
It hasn't even been a year since you knew Yohan but they've known each other for years and years. I can never beat that

"Lady Goeun?" Letting go my train of thoughts, I looked to see Areum peering down at me with concern. "Are you feeling alright my lady? You look like you have a dark cloud over your head."

"I think that cloud will start raining soon. Anyways, good luck on your chores" Patting her shoulder, I left behind a worried Areum. She never followed me though, knowing that I will not tell her anything until I feel better.

My tough side was telling me to stop acting like such a pitiful wuss and own up my title as the general's wife but my weaker side told me to just lay down in bed and whine about it until I felt better. The latter felt like a better option right now.

Instead, here I am, a while later, eating some spicy food from the small shop in the market. The stress melted away as I took a few bites, the strong flavor kicking in. Eyeing the lady who was selling homemade sweets, I made a mental note to get some later.

My next stop was to the bookstore, a place that I would probably never get tired of. I passed by the history books without batting an eye before grabbing a few romance novels. Sitting down in the corner, I began to read, intrigued by the storyline already. The rest of the afternoon, I pampered myself so I could feel like myself again.

It was early evening when I arrived home, and the first thing I see is Areum running up to me in a rush. "Cut these desserts for my husband once he comes home" handing her the bags of stuff I got, I stood there confused as she took them in a hurry. "We've had a guest over for about an hour now. She says she needs to talk to the owner of this residence and insisted on waiting."

"Then I'll have to see to it as I'm the only one present" Going inside to the dining room, I came face to face with a familiar woman sitting patiently, her hands on her lap. She was wearing a dark brown dress that went down to her calves. It looked like the outfits that female warriors wear so they can walk freely without stepping or slipping on it. Once she looked up, I recognized her immediately, her striking features can never be forgotten.

"Miss Mayumi?" She also had a look of bewilderment on her face, clearly surprised that I was the one standing in front of her. "Lady Goeun?" Sitting down, I gestured for one of the girls to get some tea for us.

"I was out for a while so I didn't know we had a guest today. May I ask why you wanted to see the owner?" The once patient woman suddenly seemed restless, her eyes wavering slightly. "Is Mister Kim your husband?"

"Yes? Did you come all the way here to ask that?" Shaking her head, she suddenly smiled throwing me off guard. "I had some work related business that I needed to discuss with General Kim. You see, I've been casted as a bodyguard for her highness. They apparently wanted a female and I fit right in the description, so I start work in a few days"

"Ah, I see" but what does that have to do with my husband? Sipping the tea that was put in front of us, we stayed silent, neither of us not knowing what to say. "If it isn't too rude of me, may I ask when you both got married? Its just that I always dreamed of starting a family too so I was curious.."

"It wasn't too long ago, but one thing led to another and boom, we got married" once my soft laughter died down, the room turned silent again, the awkwardness at its max. I didn't know the tablecloth had such pretty designs

"It's becoming dark and I better head home soon. Thank you for having me over, the tea was brewed wonderfully" As she got up, I blocked her way in confusion. "Didn't you need to speak with Yohan? He'll be home soon so you can sit with me until then."

"I'll come over maybe next time, have a goodnight Miss Goeunssi"

"You too, be careful during the way back" walking her out and sending her off, I watched as she left rather quickly, her retreating figure getting smaller and smaller. With questions still left unanswered, I closed the gate door with a heavy heart.
Should I be wary of her in the future?