Part 11

We all stood side by side and kept our heads low as we were in the presence of his majesty and the queen. Prince yul was sitting next to them, with a proud grin on his face.

It was so painfully quiet as I fiddled with my dress waiting for them to announce the results. I looked over at Hyerin to see what she was doing and found her taking small peeks at Prince Yul.

He also seemed to be looking at her happily, obviously giving us the answer.

Court Lady Choi came in and bowed to his and her majesty before bowing to Prince Yul. Afterwards, she faced towards us before calling out 1 name.

"Everyone except Lee Hyerin can leave this room now" I smiled at Hyerin who was kind of trembling before rubbing her back soothingly.

"You guys have about a day to pack up all that you need and leave the palace. I am very grateful for the time we have spent together this past month. I wish you all a good luck in your lives ahead." We all bowed before taking our leave.

Once the door closed, 2 girls burst into tears while the 2 others silently left to their rooms. I also went to my room and sat down quietly. My maids started to pack my stuff and I suddenly felt really sad to part like this.
Watching clothes being packed left and right, the news finally dawned on me.

I wiped my tears silently not understanding why I was crying this much. With my eyes puffy and nose red, I stepped outside to get some fresh air.

I guess that was an excuse because I was actually looking for General Kim, to say goodbye to him. Once I'm out of the palace, we won't see each other much, or maybe even none at all. I walked through the usual path to the training area that I practically memorized already. Once I arrived, to my disappointment, he wasn't here.

"Where is your general?" I asked one of his men and all they said was "He left to go outside the palace since last night."

"When do you think he'll be back? I had something to say to him." I looked at them with a sense of desperation and they seemed to notice.

"I don't know my lady. He didn't say"

"oh, okay then. Have a good day"

I dejectedly went back, my mood worse than before. When I made it to my room, it was completely empty and my maids had already packed my stuff. "Thank you for helping me during my stay here. I would like to gift you a jewel each, what do you say?" Scanning my bags, I found the small wooden box that had many different necklaces, bracelets, and other jewelry inside.

"No, no it won't be necessary Lady Goeun. It was a pleasure serving you" I still took out a jewel and hair accessories and gave it to the both of them.

They bowed before smiling at me gratefully. I could see how their eyes were shining in happiness. It would be a pity to not give them anything for all the hard work I put them through here.

I had my meal served in my room today because I didn't feel like conversing with anyone at the moment. I don't think any of the ladies would want to do that anyways. Hyerin is still probably busy greeting people and moving over to a temporary place to stay before her ceremony. There she will have to learn the things that need to be taught before she becomes part of the royal family. This marriage would take about 2-3 months of preparing before they actually get officialy married. It all sounds like a big headache to me. Good luck Hyerinah.

After eating till I was full, I pulled out a piece of paper from the table drawers and began to write.

Dear General Kim, have you come back to the palace yet? I heard that you're really busy at the moment and left for some business outside. It's a pity that we couldn't say our farewells to one another before I left. Do you remember that time where you comforted me when I thought that I wouldn't pass the first round? I went to say goodbye then as well, But I guess this time, it's for real now. You should still keep the promise of protecting me though. But if you don't want to, then just make sure to catch that man soon. Take care of yourself and visit me from time to time. See you soon, then?

I delivered it to his work room and left it on his table.

Once I was about to go in the palanquin, rushing footsteps were heard from behind me.

"Goeun Unniee" "Waitt!" (Unnie means older sister). I turned around to see Hyerin running towards me and a few ladies trying to stop her.

She came crashing into me pulling me in for a hug. "Our crown princess shouldn't be running like that" I parted with her and saw how she was teary eyed.

"Make sure to write letters to me often. I want you to come to the ceremony, I'll make a special request myself."

"Ooo, you're using your powerful status already, just for me" We both laughed and I hugged her again. "Take care of yourself, and if the crown prince is a jerk to you, tell him that Goeun Unnie will haul her shoe at his head" She laughed but nodded her head.

---

The palanquin slowly took off and I tried to leave without any regrets in my heart. It took us a while to get home, and when it was put down, my heart felt like it went down as well. I got off nervously, waiting to see how my parents would react.

"Welcome home my child" father stood there with a smile on his face and I let out a sigh of relief.

"Where's mother and brother?" I looked around but no one else was at the entrance.

"Your mother is inside but won't come out of her room. And your brother is out there, travelling near and far again." Father smiled sadly and I nodded before making my way inside the house.

"Mother, I am home." I slowly entered her room but an object was suddenly thrown at the wall making me yelp in surprise.

"Don't show your face to me anymore. none of you" I was left speechless by how she was acting. "My only son leaves his family and travels to wherever he wants. I don't even know what he's up to and wouldn't even know if he turns up dead somewhere."

I stood quietly trying to comfort my pitiful mother. My older brother, Han hyunwoo, suddenly told us of his dream to travel around the many nations. Mother, accepted it, thinking he would come back in a few months or so. She loved her son too much to say no to him, and here are the consequences. He comes back a few times a year, once every few months.

He never tells us where he's been and is very secretive about his journeys. I try to understand him, but his actions, made mother become obsessed with me. Although I love him, there's times where I despise his decisions.

"My only daughter goes to a selection and passes 2 rounds, giving me false hope. But nope, she comes back at the end with nothing. Both of you are failures." she spit out her words venomously with anger in her eyes.

I know she was lashing all her anger out on me, but I am not made of steel.

"It's nice to be welcomed back so warmly, mother." Feeling the tears brimming in my eyes, I turned around and went straight back to my room. A nap will take away all the pain, Goeun. Forget about it and go to sleep. With tears rolling down my eyes, I forced myself to sleep and escape from reality for just a little bit.

I somehow ended up in a peaceful village where the sky was clear and the rivers were flowing gently. Kids were running around in joy and a cheerful atmosphere was created.

People were busy with their own lives, mothers tending to their kids and fathers helping their wives and easing their troubles. Everyone seemed content with their lives as I observed them quietly from the sidelines. Glancing to my left, I studied the man beside me trying hard to etch his appearance into my head.

I was walking down the long road with him, not minding my aching legs. Cherry blossoms were falling down slowly as I interlaced our hands together, afraid that he would leave me if I blink my eyes.

He smiled at me so warmly and tenderly, with love filled in his eyes.