Part 32

We hurried off to the market and grabbed a carriage full of things they may need. Attaching it to the two horses, we headed out in full speed, with the map in hand.

Once we arrived at the scene, my eyes widened at the amount of people injured and in pain. "Please disregard the fact that I'm a lady and take me in as your assistant for today" Bowing my head, I let the royal physician take me under his wing as we set off to work.

Carrying all the things inside the camp, I got everything ready. Placing the blankets on the ground and taking out the bandages, people started to come in or got carried in unconscious.

"Hold him down while I pour this on his leg. It will sting a whole lot" I winced as the man let out a painful cry and gripped onto my shoulder in pain. "It's okay, you'll be alright soon" I kept chanting that to all of the soldiers as we helped them one by one. Observing the royal medic, I gained some basic knowledge on how to disinfect and bandage up a cut. He did the more serious injuries that required more skill.

We ran around about half of the day tending to everyone. As I bandaged up someone's arm, I questioned him hesitantly. "Where did His highness and the rest go?" His eyes were closed as he sat down weakly. "They chased out the rest of the enemies and are now in search of the General."

I paused for a moment letting out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. To be honest, I was so scared of the fact that I might find Yohan laying down lifeless on the ground. Knowing that he might be alive somewhere, kept me a bit sane.

"What do you think happened to him?" My voice cracking a little, I finished up giving him his treatment. "I don't know.. but I fully trust that he didn't abandon us. No matter what anyone says, I have full faith in our general."

His words seemed to have comforted me a bit as I smiled at that. "Me too"

The suspicious thing that I noticed was that no one had died, which is a good thing of course. However, I noticed that they were attacked but at certain spots that wouldn't put their life on the line. Handing out water for everyone, I also handed out more blankets since nighttime was approaching.

I prepped up something fast for everyone to eat, even if it was a small amount. By the end of it, the royal medic and I was exhausted, but seeing everyone alive and slowly healing, made me realize that it was all worth it.

"Are you holding up alright Lady Goeun?" He sat next to me as we sat by the fire, putting the medical tools in the boiling water.

"Thank you for all that you did today, you were really cool" I managed to avoid the question and lighten up the mood as he gave me a small smile.

"That is my job, you know. You also did really well today. Rest up now, I'll finish the rest" patting my shoulder proudly, he let me go to rest for a while.

Putting a blanket down in the corner, I sat down and scanned everywhere emptily. My face felt expressionless as I failed to fall asleep. Atleast crying would've felt better but that didn't seem to come out as well as I stared blankly at my hands.

I did the most I could do, so please come back to me. Come back safely and tell me how much of a good job I did
.
.
.
.
.
After a few hours, Prince Yul came back with Minah right behind him. I can't imagine how mad he would be for us leaving Hyerin's side but I don't think he was considering that at the moment.

Seeing our current condition, he gave me a slight nod before coming down his horse. "What happened?" Scrambling up, I rushed over to him, scanning everyone's faces.

"They escaped by boat to the other side. We're in no condition to go in there. And, I couldn't manage to find him, I'm sorry" my hands fell to my sides as I felt the need to not bother him anymore.

The night passed as Prince Yul and his most trusted soldiers stayed up to think of a strategy or a single plan that can benefit us. Minah also squeezed herself in that group saying that she has lived in Japan before so she will certainly be of help.

Instead of laying down wide awake, I checked up on the soldiers to make sure they had no fevers. If they did, it could mean a sign of an infection from their wounds.

When I was getting a new cloth for someone, an arrow was shot near our camp, making all of us jolt in surprise. Some of the guards rushed to find the source of it. I guess their side sacrificed one of their people because they instantly got caught by our soldiers. Prince Yul came out before grabbing the piece of paper that was tied to the arrow. I saw how his face etched into a frown before he looked at me wearily.

Going over to his side, I read the note before grabbing the hem of my dress in shock. I suddenly felt nauseous as I failed to describe the feeling bubbling up inside of me.

You have eight days to get your majesty to sign the treaty between your nation and ours. Then, we will release the man, unless, you don't care whether he lives or dies.

"They're talking about Yohan, a-aren't they? What treaty are they talking about? Do you know about this?" I looked to Prince Yul for answers to only see him rub his temples in frustration.

"It will take about 4 days if I ride nonstop to the palace and 4 to come back. But my father... he wouldn't sign it so easily if it meant sacrificing one person for it. This is more of a loss for us since we will have to agree to all their terms in this treaty."

We stood in silence as I finally felt tears forming in my eyes. I felt so stressed out and knew that we had just hit our heads at a dead end. The king could easily cover this up saying that the general sacrificed his life honorably for the nation. Yohan, you...really cared for the people, is this how they will pay you back?

"Then we won't follow what they say. Let's form a plan to get Yohan back ourselves. And then if we have to, we will go into battle." Minah stood in front of us with a serious expression. "How would we do that?" His highness perked up at another option that we could use right now.

"First. We find out where they confined him"