Part 9

"Bring me some paper and ink"

I had 2 days left to submit my letter and I think I finally found my answer. I dipped my brush into the ink and held my sleeve up before beginning to write.

Before you start reading, I am simply writing this as a fellow friend and a loyal subject of this nation. How can you make your people happy as the crown prince of this nation? First thing's first, you shall start by actually making them "your" people, your highness. Yes, you are the crown prince, but they only recognize you as someone they can't see or touch. You are on a different level from them. You have to start gaining their trust and increase their love towards the royal family. If someone with power and wealth steps in one day and offers them gold, riches, and a place to stay, they would move away from your side in a heartbeat. To make these people happy, do your part faithfully as the crown prince and the future king of this nation. Look through those that supposedly work by your side and pull out the thorns that is in the way of your success. Think from the peoples' perspectives and living conditions, and seek out into the world to find out the problems they might be facing against. That is what will make them happy, and in return, you will have the people on your side.

Satisfied with my work, I folded the paper carefully before venturing out to find Court Lady Choi. I don't think I would be reassured if I sent my maid out to deliver this. Once I found her, I gave it to her before going to look for General Kim.

We've been hanging out lately after my little confession but he insists on drawing the line between us.

I so far figured out that he is turning 22 years old and his birthday is during the early winter time. He seems to be pretty closed off when I ask him about his childhood or his adolescent years, so I decided to not touch on that subject anymore.

If someone told me that in a span of a month, I would fall head over heels for a man I barely know, I would've straight up laughed at their face.

Love really does change people

As I turned the corner, I saw 2 familiar ladies grabbing each other's hair and yelling at one another. Their dresses were wrinkled and a mess, their hair tangled up in each other's hands. "Who said you could peek at my written answer, you cheater!" The lady in green attempted to push the one in orange away but failed.

"HOW AM I A CHEATER?! I already submitted my work to the Court lady already"

"YOU LIAR! I clearly saw you snooping around my room a few days ago as well!"

Their bickering went on and on and I covered my face out of second hand embarrassment. Should I call Court Lady Choi or the guards over?

Maybe I should just turn around and pretend it never happened. It's not my business anyways, it's better to let them get all their anger out. I attempted to walk away when a hand suddenly blocked my way.

"Are you seriously about to walk away without helping them?" Surprisingly, the one I expected to see the least was right in front of me.

I bowed down before saying my greetings. "Crown prince Yul, what brings you here?"

"I ran over here hearing all this noise and my my- it's quite a sight seeing noble ladies acting like this." He arched his eyebrow and stared at the commotion.

"Those noble ladies are quite possibly your future women, so if someone has to stop it, you're the perfect candidate." "Good day" I stepped out of the way and walked in the opposite direction gracefully. I choose who I want to help, I don't come running in just for anyone.

I suddenly felt bad for my mother who taught me to always be respectful to everyone. I guess once a bird leaves its nest, they are all on their own. It's been a month since I have been away from home but I truly just began to explore the depth of myself as a person. I didn't know I had the ability to joke around and be childish with my friends. I also didn't know that I could be soft to the people I care about but be tough when unavoidable situations occurred.

Home felt foreign now, where I was constantly watched by the eyes of my parents and maids. I remember one night I wanted to just sit down and have a nice late night talk with mother. When I was at the entrance of her room, I heard quiet whispers from the other side of the door.

"Tell me all the things she did when she went out today alone. Who did she meet, how did she act, and what did she do before coming home. Don't leave out a single detail." I heard mother's hushed voice as she demanded the other person to speak.

As I heard the other person talk, I recognized their voice almost immediately and shock coursed through me. I was horrified to find out that one of my closest maids, Iseul was busy serving me and reporting all my movements to mother every single day. From that day on, I hired a maid on my own and kept her by my side. Areum was the only person I trusted out of all the maids in that household.

Don't get me wrong, I don't despise my parents. However, there's a limit to being over protective than being downright obsessed. Her actions clearly told me that she was obsessed with controlling me and how I am as a person. Father only followed his wife's words and wouldn't dare disobey them. I think I grew up to be a decent woman, but mother raised me in an unhealthy way. She has already done enough damage and I am now slowly starting to fix them.

But once I go back home, she will probably be more strict on me than ever before because I would have failed her.