Part 7

Later that night, I was suddenly called over by the crown prince himself.

"He is requesting your presence in his room, Lady Goeun." I stared wide eyed at my maid in front of me not believing her words.

I hesitantly got up and followed silently. Am I in trouble? I knew I shouldn't have written that darn note to him.

When I came in, I immediately bowed and greeted him.

"So you are Lady Han Goeun?" I could hear the amusement in his tone and that's when I knew I messed up.

"Did I hurt your feelings your highness?" I debated on whether I should dart out the room or sit down across from him.

"Your note did leave a lasting first impression." "You're boring your highness.. Have a good rest, and drink the tea when you wake up"

"It sounded both distant and close at the same time. And since we didn't get our 30 minutes, why don't I make it up for you right now" he gave me his best smile so I knew I had no choice but to come and sit down.

"Has your royal highness not gotten much sleep lately?"

"You can call me Prince Yul. Royal highness sounds too formal" I took a mental note of that.

"There's just been a lot of work piled up these past few days, and an annoying pest had come in my palace in that time."

Oh, he's talking about that man from that one night.

"Then why don't you enjoy the time you have now and sleep? There was no need to call me over since I wouldn't complain about it being unfair" I patted my hands on the cushions and he started laughing.

"You're so eager to push me away, why is that?"

I seriously thought about it..

"It's because I don't think I am fit to be a crown princess. There are many other women here that would be fitting for it. And I believe one woman has already piqued your interest?" I arched my eyebrow in expectation and I swear I saw his ears turn red.

"What makes you think that it's not you?" he suddenly asked that making me choke on literal air.

"What kind of women are you interested in, your highness?" Let's see if he really likes me or not.

"Someone who will be my light as I venture on in this dark world all alone." His words were rather cringe but it made me think of one person clearly.

"If you want a woman like that, I'll sincerely suggest someone for you. Lady Hyerin is an amazing woman, but I think you already know that." he tried to clear his throat and I broke out into laughter.

"I'll be taking my leave now, see you around, Prince Yul." As I was about to leave, he suddenly spoke up.

"Let's be friends Lady Goeun. Although I need a wife, I also need loyal people on my side when I become King."

I smiled before replying "I'll think about it"

---

A week and a half passed by and we were to meet the crown prince again. I heard he got busy last week so we didn't see him for the second time like it was scheduled.

All the ladies dressed up in their finest clothes and put makeup on to try to flatter his highness. We were informed that we would go in pairs of 2 and one group would consist of 3 people since there is 15 of us. Of course I chose Hyerin and she chose me.

Hyerin wore a pretty light purple dress and I wore a navy blue one. When it was our turn, we didn't head to the study room but instead, came out to the pavilion. He was sitting there enjoying his tea as we strode over to him.

"Good afternoon ladies, come sit down."

I quietly sat and looked at our surroundings. "I guess you got tired of being in your room, Prince Yul."

He nodded and looked at the sky. "And the weather is especially beautiful today, it would be a waste to stay indoors."

I drank my tea since I didn't know what else to say to him. What do you say to a person you met only a few times?

Hyerin cleared her throat and spoke up "Do you want to take a walk your highness? This could be our last time meeting one another and I think a stroll would be nice." Something flickered in his eyes as she said that but he quickly changed back to his usual smiling self.

"Shall we go then?"

We were sitting just fine in the shade Hyerin-ah, Why make us walk now?

I stood up lazily but kept my composure. As we all walked side by side, Prince Yul and Hyerin went into their own little world. I looked around and a familiar person caught my attention.

Its been a while since I've seen him, I kind of miss talking to him.

He was on the other side of the lake practicing his archery with his men. I observed them quietly as we walked, focusing on how accurate the general's aiming was. I take back what I said when I asked myself how he even became the general. He has the skills and the intelligence.

Watching him was a lot more interesting than listening to what the other two was talking about. I think Prince Yul saw where I was looking at because he suddenly spoke to me catching me off guard "Are you interested in archery Lady Goeun?"

I was taken aback by what he asked since I didn't realize that they caught me staring. "haha, I enjoy watching it but wouldn't dare to hold one in my hands. Like any other lady, I'm interested in painting, embroidery, and going to festivals." I looked over at them and I saw him nodding his head.

Hyerin's eyes also shined and she immediately linked our arms together. "If neither of us passes, should we go to the festival together Goeun? I heard this year, it would be really grand and beautiful."

"Yeah, lets do that. I'll buy you all the food you want to eat, Hyerin-ah." We laughed together recalling how Hyerin said she loves food a lot.

"You both must be close" We turned around and saw Prince Yul looking amused at the situation.

Hyerin leaned her head on my shoulder. "She's like my older sister now" I smiled at her and then looked at the crown prince.

Jealous much?

He cleared his throat before turning to Hyerin "Don't say that you won't pass though. We could all go to the festival together one day"

I softly chuckled

As he walked in front of us, I heard him muttering to himself "I'll make sure of it." I glanced over at Hyerin as we walked together side by side.

Yeah, I'll make sure she passes too