chapter 2 ➸ grapes

“I don’t know what kind of game you think you’re playing, Lauren. But this isn’t funny,” Camila snapped once the nurse left the room.

“I’m not playing games, Camila.”

“And I’m not going with you,” Camila rebutted, crossing her arms and wincing when IV tugged under her skin.

“Well then you’re stuck here,” Lauren shrugged, trying to make Camila realize the better option.

“Fine,” Camila huffed, lying down so she wasn’t facing Lauren.

Lauren rolled her eyes. Camila heard footsteps leave the room and sat up, watching her disappear down the hallway. Good riddance. She didn’t need Lauren screwing her up even more.

––

Lauren’s never done something so impulsive.

She doubted that anyone had ever bought a house using only an iPhone before. But she was Lauren Jauregui, and she knew people who could make it happen. Now it was only a matter of getting Camila there in one piece.

Ending the call with her Real Estate agent, she grabbed the grocery bag from her car and headed back into the hospital. It was now her job to take care of Camila, and she was going to do it the right way.

When she entered the hospital room once more, she quickly set the plastic bags down to rush over to the motionless figure on the bed. Camila sat with her legs in front of her, and her head moved down to her feet, as if she were folding herself in half. Lauren saw her move and realized she was crying.

“Mila…” she approached the girl cautiously, and Camila’s head shot up. Her eyes were bloodshot and tears stained her cheeks. A look of fear crossed her face when she saw Lauren, but it quickly turned to anger.

"This is all your fault!” she snapped, curling up in a ball and burying her head in her knees.

“What is?” Lauren racked her brain, trying to figure out something she could have done wrong.

Camila’s hand shot out from the bed, shoving a tear-soaked phone in front of Lauren. The green-eyed girl wiped the iPhone on her jeans before reading the screen.

“Oh,” Lauren whispered. She gently set the phone back on Camila’s bed and slumped down in one of her chairs.

“I can’t believe they would cancel the tour. You should’ve just done it without me,” Camila huffed. Her voice was muffled.

“It’s not Fifth Harmony without Camila Cabello,” Lauren argued.

Camila shook her head and sat up, pointing an incriminating finger at Lauren. “Don’t do this. Don’t act like you care,” she practically growled. Her small hand balled into a fist and she clutched it to her chest, staring blanking into the distance.

Lauren sat up straighter. Camila’s sudden outburst was unexpected. She decided to ignore it.

“I brought some stuff to eat,” she said, grabbing the grocery bag from the door and bringing it over to the bed.

Camila’s nose instantly crinkled at the sight of the food and she crossed her arms, turning her head away and shaking her head. “I’m not eating.”

Lauren shrugged, opening a plastic container of grapes and sitting back down in the chair, popping one into her mouth. “More for me, then.”

Camila rolled her eyes, shoving the grocery bag off of her bed and onto the floor. Lauren ignored this, and tossed another grape into her mouth.

“When are you going to leave?!” Camila groaned, falling back onto the bed and falling face-first into her pillow.

“Whenever you get in my car,” Lauren smirked. She rolled a grape in-between her thumb and index finger before throwing it up in the air and catching it in her mouth.