epilogue

"Why are the lights still on in the dining hall?" the young worker ran a hand through her hair and gazed back down the long hallway.

"Bailee," one of the nurses rolled her eyes and shook her head. "She's not allowed to leave until she finishes what's on her plate."

Camila nodded, biting her lip. Bailee had been at the treatment center the longest. By now, it was as if most of the nurses had given up on her. But not Camila.

"I'll see what I can do," Camila nodded once, pushing the door open and exiting the nurses station.

Five years ago, Fifth Harmony had split. Camila had been heartbroken. Despite her parent's disapproval, Camila had bought her own apartment in California. The last thing she wanted was to go back to Miami.

She'd tried to contact Lauren. Hell, she'd done everything she could to get the green eyed girl to talk to her. But no matter how hard she tried, she was always met with absolute silence on the other girl's end.

She had no other choice but to give up. It seemed as if everyone was trying to push her to go back to the hospital, but Camila refused.

And then, almost as if it was magic, everything clicked for her. She wanted to get better. Camila soon realized that when she took her recovery into her own hands, she could make progress.

So she painted her apartment in bright colors, adopted a cat named Presley, started playing guitar again, and even began seeing a nutritionist. But most importantly, she began going to college. And now, five years later, she found herself working in the same rehabilitation center where she had spent multiple weeks as a patient.

Anorexia was still a struggle for hers. But Camila discovered her love of cooking, which contributed immensely to her recovery. After going completely vegan, the brown eyed girl enjoyed the challenge of inventing new meals.

That didn't mean she was 100% better. But she was getting there. Working with the girls in the center demanded a lot of energy, and Camila found herself eating more than she had in a long time just to keep up with them.

She was satisfied with her life. It wasn't perfect, it was a little messy, but it was hers. Camila only wished that she could tie up the loose ends of her past, though.

The nurse opened the dining hall door slowly, giving the girl in the corner a soft smile. "What're you still doing in here, kiddo?" Camila asked softly, walking over to the table.

"I'm not hungry," Bailee sighed and pushed the tray away from her. Camila furrowed her eyebrows and sat down.

"You didn't eat lunch either," Camila glanced down at the girl's tray. "Have you even tried it?"

Bailee shook her head, crinkling her nose. Camila giggled and looked down at the tray. "Hospital food sucks, eh?" Camila raised an eyebrow. Surprised, Bailee looked up.

"One time, they gave me spaghetti and meatballs, and it stayed stuck to the tray even if you turned it upside down," Camila giggled, drumming her fingers against the table.

"You've been in one of these places too?" Bailee's eyes flickered with curiosity. Camila nodded.

"I sat in this very spot when I was 17," she smiled sadly and stood up, picking up the girl's tray and bringing it over to the counter in the corner of the room. "So thankfully, I sympathize with your distaste for food that tastes like cardboard." Bailee's eyes widened when Camila tossed the tray in the trash. The nurse walked over to the staff refrigerator, unlocking it and pulling out a small glad container.

"I was gonna save this for a late night snack," Camila laughed softly, sitting back down at the table and setting the container in front of Bailee. "But I think you'll appreciate it more than I will."