chapter 6 ➸ sleeping beauty

Lauren did a stupid thing.

Her mind went into complete autopilot mode once she got back into her car. She was suddenly making lists of things that needed to get done, things she needed to purchase, and people she needed to call about the trashed house. After purchasing what they needed from the store, she passed a Chinese restaurant on the way home and casually decided to stop and grab them something to eat, completely forgetting about Camila's ongoing battle with food.

Lauren realized as soon as she set the brown paper bag with their food in it on the island. She'd been so wrapped up in making sure the house was livable, that she'd forgotten things weren't the way they used to be, when she could just bring bags of food into Camila's bedroom at midnight and pig out while watching Nicholas Sparks movies.

Now, Camila wouldn't touch the food Lauren had just brought into the house. Lauren missed how things used to be, but anything was better than nothing. She couldn't help but blame herself for everything Camila was going through. If only she'd been there for her, maybe Camila would be healthy, and maybe Camila would have come downstairs and joined her for dinner.

Lauren was hungry, though. And she needed the energy if she was going to keep up with Camila. Hoping the small girl hadn't heard her arrive back at the house, she grabbed a plastic fork from the bags she'd brought into the house and stabbed a piece of orange chicken. She ate quickly while she stood and took in the small backyard though the sliding glass door in the kitchen.

She was so distracted, in fact, that she didn't hear the light footsteps behind her. She didn't hear the crinkling of plastic bags and the shuffling of Camila's shoes until the small girl was standing right next to her. Lauren jumped when Camila appeared at her side, imitating what Lauren had done with her fork and a piece of food.

Lauren had to do a double take when she realized Camila was silently observing the piece of chicken on her fork. The fact that Camila had even taken the initiative to get herself as piece of food was a big deal. But Lauren knew if she made a big deal out of it, Camila would freak out. So instead Lauren gave her a soft smile and walked back over to the island to stab another piece of chicken.

Camila passed Lauren. Once. Twice. It was on the third time that Lauren looked up and raised an eyebrow at Camila.

"What're you doing?"

"Walking," Camila mumbled, circling the island once more with the untouched piece of food still on her fork. Lauren observed her for a few moments as Camila continued at her pace, making no move to stop her.

"Mind if I join?" Lauren asked with a mouthful of food, laughing at herself.

"If I tell you no, you're not going to listen to me, so..." Camila rolled her eyes. She twirled her fork around in her hand and continued to study the small piece of chicken that remained on the plastic utensil.

Lauren didn't argue, instead she started pacing around the counter as well. If you can't beat em', join em', right?

And that's how they continued for the next few minutes. Lauren stabbing another piece of food each time she circled the counter, and Camila's piece of chicken remaining untouched.

It was only when Lauren went to throw her fork away that Camila slowly brought the piece of now cold chicken to her lips, taking a tiny bite and rolling the food around in her mouth.

Even though Lauren had finished eating, she continued pacing around the counter. She told herself she'd walk this path until she passed out if it meant getting Camila to eat something. She was impressed that Camila had taken the initiative to do this on her own.

Camila took another bite about a minute later, chewing her food way more than she needed to. Lauren could practically see the internal struggle Camila was going through. All she wanted to do was wrap the small girl up in a giant hug and tell her how proud of her she was, but she was sure it wouldn't make things any more comfortable for Camila. If she acted like it wasn't a big deal, Camila wouldn't feel like the small steps she was taking towards recovery were too hard, either.