chapter 3 ➸ someone to believe in you

Camila didn't realize she'd fallen asleep until she blinked her eyes open the next morning. She yawned, grimacing at the IV still in her arm. Quietly, she tugged at the end of the plastic tube, removing the needle from her arm. She knotted the end of the tube, taping it back on the inside of her arm to give it the appearance that the IV was still in her vein.

When she turned over, she realized Lauren was still there. She must've fallen asleep in the chair. The darker haired girl had her upper body still on the chair, but the rest of her body was sprawled out on the cold tile floor. Camila was surprised she hadn't left as soon as she fell asleep. She figured Lauren would be dying to get away from her.

Not that she really wanted her to leave. Lauren was getting on her nerves, but she didn't mind the company. The only thing that bothered her was the fact that she was constantly second guessing Lauren's kindness. She was scared that the girl with green eyes had different intentions.

Camila sat up. She hated to admit it, but she was starving. She ignored it as best as she could, though. Her eyes landed on the container of grapes from last night and she smirked. Leaning out of her bed, she snatched the container and set it next to her.

She tossed a grape in Lauren's direction, hitting her arm.

After tossing a second grape, she heard Lauren groan, which caused her to giggle.

"Wake upppp," she hummed. Another grape bounced off the top of Lauren's head.

Lauren mumbled something that Camila couldn't understand. Camila gave up on going easy on Lauren. She grabbed a handful of grapes and sent them flying in Lauren's direction.

"Okay, okay! I'm up!" Lauren whined, holding two of her hands in the air as if she was surrendering. She sat up to come see a giggling Camila sitting on the bed above her.

"Well good morning, sunshine. What's got you in such a good mood?"

Camila crinkled her nose and shrugged. She tossed another grape at Lauren. "I dunno. I like annoying you. It's fun."

Rolling her eyes, Lauren pulled herself back up in the uncomfortable plastic chair and sent Camila a glare that feigned annoyance. Camila, satisfied, closed the contained of grapes and pushed it away from her.

"So am I gonna have to sleep in this stiff-ass chair for another night, or are you going to agree to leave with me?" Lauren asked after a few moments of silence. She saw Camila's expression falter and could've sworn there was a glimpse of fear in her eyes. Camila seemed to have composed herself very quickly, though.

"I don't understand why you insist on staying here until I go home with you," Camila sighed, shaking her head and stood up off the bed. Lauren jumped up to stop her, but realized Camila wasn't having trouble standing.

Camila, completely forgetting about the IV tube she had taped to her arm, started to walk towards her backpack on the other side of the room and raised an eyebrow when she felt something tug on her arm.

Shit.

She immediately met Lauren's eyes, biting her lip when she realized Lauren had seen.

"I-I forgot it was in my arm..."

Lauren walked over to the tube, which was now hanging from the tall piece of metal equipment. She plucked it out of the air and inspected it, raising an eyebrow at Camila.

"There's no needle in here. You tied it off, didn't you?"

Camila looked like a child that had been caught doing something they weren't supposed to. But again, she quickly rid herself of any vulnerability and rolled her eyes at Lauren.