chapter 29 ➸ waking up

a/n: i forgot to mention this in the previous chapter, but this is the last chapter before the epilogue. after that, weak will officially be finished, omg. enjoy babes.

All at once there was nothing.

And then, all at once, there was everything.

Blinding light suddenly filled Camila's pupils and she inhaled sharply, moving to sit up. She winced when there was a tug in her arm. Groggily, she opened her eyes and tried to figure out what was going on.

"Camila," a voice rang out of nowhere and the smaller girl blinked a few times. "Camila, it's Dinah, can you hear me?"

She knew this feeling all too well. The beeping, the pinching sensation in her arm, the blinding white light – she was in the hospital. Again.

Camila groaned and wiped her eyes, moving to sit up.

"Woah, calm down," Dinah jumped forwards and grabbed Camila's shoulders, moving her back onto the bed. "You literally just woke up."

"I'm aware," Camila muttered, but she sat back down. "What happened?" she asked quieter, biting her lip.

"You, uh," Dinah sat back down on the edge of Camila's bed and sighed. "We were at a party... and your drink was..."

"Drugged," Camila whispered, finishing Dinah's sentence for her. Everything was starting to come back to her.

"Yeah, that," Dinah laughed nervously, running a hand through her hair. "Whatever it was really fucked you up and I guess... you just..."

"Passed out?" Camila tilted her head to the side.

"That too," the Polynesian girl furrowed her eyebrows. "Lauren found you. You had another seizure, Mila."

And suddenly, it all came rushing back to her. The smell of alcohol, the murmur of the crowd around her, the thumping of the bass in her ears, Lauren kneeling beside her.

Lauren.

She remembered it so vividly now. She remembered the panicked look on Lauren's face, and the sheer terror in the girl's voice when she was screaming for help. Camila's body suddenly froze.

"Where is she?" Camila stood up, yanking the IV out of her arm. "Where's Lauren? Is she okay? I need to see her." She bit her lip anxiously and scanned the room.

"Camila, you need to sit down," Dinah moved to block the door of the room.

"Where's Lauren?" Camila ignored the older girl's instructions. She needed to see her. She couldn't scare her away. She needed Lauren.

Camila noticed the nervousness in Dinah's features. Something was up, she could tell.

"She's..." Dinah shook her head and grabbed Camila's arm, pulling her back over to the bed. Huffing, Camila sat back down and rolled her eyes.

"She's in a meeting with the other girls. I'm not really supposed to be back here," Dinah confessed. Camila sighed and shook her head.

"Well I'm fine, I need to go see her," she pleaded, glancing at the door. "Can't you just... sign me out of here or something?"

"Hospitals don't work that way," Dinah laughed nervously. "They said you'll be out in a day or so if you... comply." She glanced at the door once more. "I really should go, though. If they find out I snuck back here we're both in trouble."

"But..." Camila's voice trailed off when Dinah stood up. The girl really was serious. She grabbed Camila's hands and stared her straight in the eyes.