chapter 5 ➸ 'partially furnished'

Lauren had just walked in the room when she saw Camila's knees give out. She dropped her things to the floor and dived to wrap her arms around the girl's waist before she hit the floor. She nearly stumbled to the ground herself, but she quickly adjusted Camila's motionless body in her arms and carried her bridal-style over to the bed.

"Camila?" she asked anxiously, smoothing out the smaller girl's hair. When she didn't get a response, she hurried over to the sink. Biting her lip, she grabbed a paper towel and wet it slightly with cold water.

Sitting down on Camila's hospital bed, Lauren held the cold cloth gently on her forehead, moving it down and realizing just how colorless her face was.

"Huh?" Camila groaned, blinking her eyes open and being blinded by the white lights above her. Seconds later the lights were flicked off and Lauren was hurrying back over to the bed.

"What were you doing?" Lauren asked, not bothering to tell Camila it was her.

"Exersizing," Camila mumbled, pressing her hand atop Lauren's and questioningly feeling the cold cloth on her forehead.

"Well next time you pass out while 'exersizing' you may not have someone there to catch you before you fall and crack your head open," Lauren rebutted.

"I would love that," Camila muttered, rolling her eyes and pushing Lauren's hand away from her face. Lauren only moved it back.

"Lauren," Camila said in warning, narrowing her eyes.

"Listen, Camila. I'm giving you your space emotionally, but when it comes to your physical health, I am not compromising. Now lay down and shut up," Lauren said firmly. Camila groaned and laid her head back down.

"I need to get a nurse to put your IV back in," Lauren said, reaching to press the call button but Camila grabbed her arm to stop her.

"I can do it," Camila mumbled. Lauren raised an eyebrow.

"If you want to get away with taking an IV out, you need to know how to put it back in," Camila rolled her eyes. She'd learned this from her multiple hospital visits before this one. "You can learn anything on the internet."

"Go ahead, then," Lauren sighed. She didn't want to argue with Camila.

"I don't want to."

"Camila."

"They're practically pumping me full of sugar water, Lauren. It's horrible. Might as well strap weights to my ankles and throw me on a scale."

Lauren sighed and shook her head, leaning across the bed and rolling the IV pole towards them.

"You're going to put it back in yourself or I'm going to get someone to do it for you."

Rolling her eyes, Camila plucked the plastic tube out of the air and inspected it. A few moments later, the IV was back in her arm.

"You can handle having an IV until the nurse finalizes your medications. We're out of this place in about an hour," Lauren said, standing up and plopping down into one of the plastic chairs that lined the wall. Camila looked up from the floor.

"We're leaving today?"

She sounded... scared. Lauren nodded softly.

"Can't wait," Camila said sarcastically. She fell back onto her bed, closing her eyes and exhaling slowly.

"There's nothing to be afraid of," Lauren said softly.

"I'm not afraid," Camila snapped.

"Yes you are."