chapter 24 ➸ too good to be true

"Who're you talking to?" Dinah smirked, plopping down on the couch next to Lauren. The green eyed girl had been attached to her phone all morning, and her bandmates had slowly caught on. Lauren whipped her head up at the sound of Dinah's voice and quickly locked her phone.

"No one," she rebutted, running a hand through her hair and checking the time. Dinah didn't buy her excuse though, and the Polynesian girl snatched Lauren's phone out of her hands before the girl had time to realize what she was doing.

"Zayn?" Dinah wiggled her eyebrows and held Lauren's phone out of the older girl's reach. Giving up, Lauren groaned and sunk back into the couch.

"Is there a problem with that?" Lauren rolled her eyes. Meanwhile, Dinah was typing away at Lauren's phone, which the green eyed girl didn't realize.

"He's coming to dinner with us tonight," Dinah tossed Lauren's phone back into her lap. Lauren raised an eyebrow, looking down at her phone. Sure enough, Dinah had just sent Zayn an invitation to go to dinner with them, and he'd replied within seconds. Lauren bit her lip and glanced back up at her bandmate.

"You're welcome," Dinah chuckled, leaning back on the couch and propping her feet across Lauren's lap. "Now you can see how Camila reacts."

"What?" Lauren perked up at the mention of Camila's name. Dinah knew well enough that Lauren wasn't over her. Whether Zayn was a serious attempt at getting over Camila or just a pleasant distraction, she didn't care. She just wanted her bandmate to get her mind off of things for once. Lauren had a tendency to dwell on the negative.

"When he comes to dinner you can see if Mila gets jealous and whatnot," Dinah shrugged. "You know she can't hide her emotions to save her life."

"I don't want to hurt her," Lauren rebutted, sitting up and glancing down at the messages on her phone once more. Uninviting Zayn would be rude, she knew that. Plus, she sort of did want to see him again. It'd been nice to have normal conversation with him.

"That doesn't count as hurting her. Plus, she's the one who's been giving you the cold shoulder. If anything, this is what she deserves," Dinah tossed a pillow in Lauren's direction. "And you need to get your ass out there, too. You're Lauren Jauregui, and you're single. Everyone wants you," she teased, blocking the pillow that Lauren tossed back at her.

Thirty minutes and a plethora of dresses and makeup later, Dinah deemed Lauren prepared for her date. The dark haired girl stood in front of the mirror in their hotel room, spinning in a circle and studying the burgundy dress Dinah had picked out for her. She found it funny how the younger girl insisted on helping her get ready.

"He's gonna be all over you," Dinah clapped her hands, brushing Lauren's hair over her shoulder and making her face the mirror. "Someone else might be too," she winked.

Groaning, Lauren pushed Dinah's hands off of her shoulder and shook her head. "I'm not doing this because of Camila, so can we just stop talking about her?"

"What about me?" The hotel door opened at the same time and Lauren jumped, turning to meet Camila's eyes. The brown eyed girl gave Lauren a once over, swallowing hard when she saw what she was wearing. She hid her shock well, though.

"Nothing," Dinah quickly spoke up for the both of them. "We were just listing everyone who was coming to dinner."

Camila stepped inside the room, tilting her head to the side. "I thought it was just the five of us?" she asked, making every effort to not make eye contact with Lauren, who was doing the same with her.

"Lauren's bringing a date," Dinah smirked, linking arms with the green eyed girl. "Right, Lauren?"

Lauren looked up, biting her lip. Dinah elbowed her hard in the side and she winced, but nodded quickly. "Yeah. Zayn's coming with us," she forced a smile.