chapter 9 ➸ thank you for staying

“Camz,” Lauren whispered. She sat down next to the small girl, who’d cocooned herself in the pile of blankets on the bed. Being a light sleeper, Camila’s eyelids fluttered open upon just hearing Lauren’s quiet voice. She crinkled her nose, letting her pupils adjust to the light that filled the room.

“Mornin’ beautiful,” Lauren said softly, not even realizing the word she’d used. Camila didn’t think twice, assuming it was something Lauren told everyone. The green eyed girl gave Camila a soft smile, holding up the small bowl in her hands. “I brought you dinner. I tried to let you sleep as long as possible, but I didn’t want to let you sleep all night, cause’ then you’d be up early.”

“M’tired,” Camila groaned. She turned and shoved her head into her pillow, letting out a muffled groan against the fabric. Lauren giggled.

“God, Camz, do you need me to spoon feed you?” she teased, letting her eyes wander over to the last little bit of sun that was shining though the window. It cast a beam of light through the room, cutting straight through Camila’s small figure on the bed and illuminating her long hair, which was ruffled from sleep.

“You wouldn’t,” Camila giggled with her face still hidden in the pillow. All her defenses against Lauren were thrown away, considering she’d just woken up.

“Oh, I would,” Lauren laughed, rolling her eyes playfully. “Watch me.”

Camila lifted her head just as Lauren scooped up a small spoonful of the dinner they’d made earlier, wiggling it in front of Camila’s face.

“Here comes the airplane,” she cooed teasingly, crinkling her nose and causing Camila to giggle. The spoon was only inches away from her face and Camila quickly sucked her lips into her mouth, biting the inside of her cheek and trying to hide her smile.

“You know you want it,” Lauren wiggled her eyebrows. Camila giggled and shook her head, but Lauren moved the spoon at the same time and the utensil ended up colliding with Camila’s nose, sending the food flying all over the sheets.

Both girls gasped and Lauren started laughing, Camila gave her a questioning look. 

“Let’s try that again,” Lauren nodded once, holding a new spoonful out in front of Camila. “What should this one be? An airplane? A train?”

Camila giggled and raised an eyebrow at Lauren, wondering if she knew how ridiculous she looked. It was cute.

“Maybe I—“

As soon as Camila opened her mouth to talk, Lauren brought the spoon to her lips to feed her, and Camila burst into laughter, half the food falling out of her mouth and causing her to laugh even more.

“Okay, okay, let’s not choke,” Lauren giggled, setting the bowl down and jokingly patting Camila on the back. Without thinking, Camila swallowed what was left of the food in her mouth and giggled.

“You literally just spoon fed me,” she laughed.

“You didn’t stop me.”

Camila crinkled her nose and was suddenly aware of the aftertaste the food had left in her mouth. “We made that?” she asked, looking at the bowl in Lauren’s hands.

“It’s that good, huh?” Lauren laughed, giving Camila a soft nod. “Wait, what’s that I hear? Is that another airplane?” Lauren smirked, holding up another spoonful and waving it teasingly a few inches from Camila’s face.

Camila crinkled her nose and shook her head, trying to keep her mouth firmly shut even though she was laughing.

“Knock knock,” Lauren smirked.