chapter 21 ➸ exit wounds

Four weeks.

Four weeks since Lauren had seen Camila. A month since she'd had any type of contact with the younger girl. Twenty eight days since she drove Camila to the hospital and watched her disappear down the hallway with tears streaming down her face.

Lauren had tried contacting her multiple times, but to no avail. She'd even considered catching the next flight to Missouri and barging her way into the center, but her bandmates had convinced her otherwise.

Getting this attached to Camila had never been her plan. It had just... happened.

Lauren couldn't sleep. She'd lay awake wondering what Camila was doing at that very moment. She'd wonder what the younger girl had eaten today. She wondered if Camila missed her.

Suddenly, light flooded into her bedroom and the green eyed girl groaned in annoyance. She rolled over on her back, rubbing her eyes and glaring at the Polynesian girl that stood in the doorway.

"Get up," Dinah said firmly, walking over to the windows and drawing the curtains aside.

"Go away," Lauren muttered, covering her head with her pillow and sighing heavily. Moments later, the blankets were tugged from overtop her. Lauren groaned and pulled her legs up to her chest.

"Lauren, it's already 1 o'clock," Dinah crossed her arms and gave her bandmate a look that meant business. "You have to get out of bed eventually."

"Who says?" Lauren mumbled from under the pillow. She groaned when two strong hands flipped her over, off of the bed, and onto the floor. She landed with a thud and glared at Dinah in annoyance. "What do you want?"

"Get dressed. We're meeting the girls for lunch," Dinah nodded once, leaning against the doorway.

"I never agreed to this," Lauren huffed, standing up and brushing herself off.

"You've barley left the house in weeks, Lo, you're going," Dinah raised an incriminating eyebrow at her friend. "No ifs, ands, or buts about it."

Lauren rolled her eyes, but knew better than to argue with Dinah. She shooed the girl out of her room before digging around in her dresser and finding something comfortable to wear. Trudging into the bathroom, she winced when she saw herself in the mirror. She looked horrible.

The bags in her eyes were highlighted by her smudged makeup, which ran down her face. Lauren splashed water on her face to try and wake herself up.

Okay, so she hadn't exactly been taking Camila's disappearance too well. She couldn't help but blame herself, and her bandmate's attempts to comfort her had only caused arguments between them. What Lauren needed was Camila, and that was the one thing she couldn't have.

After feeling so protective over Camila for so long, Lauren felt completely useless when the girl was taken away from her. She'd put so much effort into taking care of her friend that she'd completely forgotten to take care of herself. So when Camila left, Lauren felt empty.

She glanced over at her makeup bag on the counter, debating with herself for a moment before rolling her eyes and deciding she didn't feel like it. It's not like she had anyone to impress, anyway. She brushed through her hair and changed into a pair of loose fitting jeans and her favorite band t-shirt.

"You look better," Dinah commented when Lauren trudged downstairs, grabbing an apple from the counter and biting into it.

"I still look like shit," Lauren mumbled. Dinah didn't disagree with her, and Lauren knew it was the truth. She felt like shit, and she looked like shit. She was well aware.