chapter 12 ➸ did you hear what she said?

Camila had fallen asleep once she came back into the bedroom, and Lauren took advantage of the free time to run out and grab something to make for dinner. She decided on salmon, knowing that it was healthy and hoping that Camila would try to eat a few bites.

Once she got home, she peered into Camila’s room. The small girl was still asleep, with half of her body on the mattress and the other half sprawled across the floor. Lauren laughed softly, turning off the light and quietly shutting the door to give the girl some peace and quiet while she made dinner.

She prepared the salmon how her mother had always done it, glazing it with a citrus spread that made up for the lack of flavor. She hoped the sweetness would only make Camila want to eat it more. But she’d discovered there’s no knowing when Camila would want to eat.

Footsteps echoed down the stairs just as Lauren was sliding the food onto two plates. She looked up, meeting Camila’s tired gaze.

“What’s that smell?” Camila’s morning voice was evident when she spoke.

“Dinner. Salmon,” Lauren said casually, placing the plates on the kitchen table and grabbing two cups. “What do you want to drink?”

Camila didn’t respond, and Lauren turned around to find her poking at the food with her index finger, scrunching her nose up. Lauren bit her lip and set down the cups. Camila glanced up at her. 

“I’m not hungry,” she said firmly, turning to leave.

“Are you sure?” Lauren asked hesitantly. She knew it had nothing to do with her cooking. Hell, Camila used to eat anything you’d put in front of her. Things have changed since then, though.

Camila mumbled a ‘yeah’ and disappeared back upstairs. Lauren sighed and slouched down in one of the chairs, poking at her own food with the fork and forcing herself to eat some. She needed the energy if she was going to keep up with Camila.

Part of her was frustrated. She was trying as hard as she could to be understanding, but it was all so confusing to her. Food was good for you, right? It’s what keeps you going. Why was Camila so against it? Couldn't she see how beautiful she already is?

Lauren finished her dinner and slid the plate into the sink. She left the mess she’s made earlier for later and cautiously made her way upstairs.

The door was locked.

“Camila?” she called, knocking on the door anxiously. Moments later the door swung open.

“Sorry. It’s a bad habit,” Camila shrugged, turning back to the bed before Lauren had a chance to respond. Lauren quietly shut the door behind her, studying Camila.

She looked like she’d been crying. Her face was red, and she’d attempted to clean the ruined makeup off of her face to make it seem like she hadn’t been crying, but the mascara stains on her sleeves told Lauren otherwise.

“What’s wrong?” Lauren stood awkwardly in front of the door.

“How do you know something’s wrong?” Camila snapped her head up anxiously. She thought she’d covered up any evidence.

Lauren just sighed and sat down on the opposite end of the bed from Camila, pointing to her sleeves. Camila looked down and cursed herself for being so careless. She folded her hands in her lap and bit her lip. “Nothing’s wrong.”

“Okay,” Lauren sighed. She knew better than to push Camila. “I’m here if you decide to tell me, though.”

Camila just watched as Lauren grabbed the marker and went to work on the same spot on the wall she’d sat before. Camila hadn’t gotten a chance to see what she’d drawn, but from where she was sitting she could make out song lyrics scrawled at the bottom of the wall, where it met the carpet.