Strain

Juno:
I open my eyes slowly, awakening from what feels like a deep slumber. I allow them to adjust to my surroundings. The room is dark but there's a lamp on and Akito is asleep on a couch across from me on my right. This isn't his estate either.. I know we were in the woods after he found me but I only remember hearing gunshots from Hunters.. Everything after is a blur. I pick myself up, rubbing my eyes as I glance at my leg to see it's healed up now. I'm a bit damp from the rain still..

"You're up?" Akito whispers. I glance at him. He remains laid down, snuggled in the blanket as he watches me half asleep. "Theres clothes there for you." I glance at the table. "That towel you were laying on should have sucked up most of the water from your clothes just throw it in the bathroom while you change." He yawns as I get up.

"Where are we?" I ask him grabbing the clothes.

"We're on the opposite side of the city. An acquaintance of mine took us in so do behave." He glances at his watch. "It's only 4am, I'm going back to sleep." I remain silent heading into the bathroom to change and throw the towel in the bathtub. I exit taking a seat back onto the couch as Akito gets comfortable on his. "Listen Juno. This side of the city isn't as safe as back home." He whispers so only I can hear. "The pureblood of this place knew who you were already before I said anything. Don't trust him.. or anyone matter of fact."

"Okay." I reply with a pause. "Is it even safe to sleep?"

"Yeah it is. Just keep your baton ready under the cover." I nod laying down. "Once the rain let's up we're out of here. So get some rest."

•••
    "Juno!" I wake up immediately aiming my baton at who's hovering over me to see Akito grab it holding it still. I breathe heavily meeting his eyes. "Easy. It's just me." I lower my baton as he he lets go and I sigh putting a hand over my face as I calm down. "Come on, get up. Felix was just here." I push the covers off me and sit up. "Your clothes are dried now so go change back into them."

     "Has the rain.." I glance toward the window but it's still pouring. "Never mind." I get up heading into the bathroom and change and fix my hair to the best of my ability. I equip my weapon belt and put my baton in it. I exit the bathroom to see Akito with his arms crossed by the door.

     "I told Felix we'd be down for breakfast." I go to speak but he stops me. "I know. Just don't drink the blood." I nod, following him into the hallway in silence. I can't drink anyones blood. If I do I loose myself.. and ontop of that, it doesn't settle. I've been keeping doses of Akitos blood at the estate but my last dose was before I left with Bash yesterday.
     We enter a dining room where Felix and other vampires are seated at a long table. Akito sits on one of the ends and I sit to his right next to another vampire. He's quite tall and muscle like and he has a brown hair with a beard.

     "Ah welcome. I'm glad you joined us." Felix says to Akito. "And I'm glad you're feeling better Lord Juno."

     "We appreciate your hospitality." Akito replies.

     "You're Lord Driscoll?" The man next to me asks. He smiles at me as I nod. "I'm Zae. It's nice to meet you sir. I'm an aristocrat specialist in fire."

     "It's nice to meet you." I respond as some servants enter the room with food and blood. I remain silent as everyone begins to conversate. One of the servants fills my cup with blood but I shut my eyes, leaning back in my chair. I have to resist.

     "So Lord Driscoll, you're quite new to this whole vampire thing correct?" I open my eyes meeting Felix.

     "I guess." I reply.

     "Has it been hard? See being born of our kind and being turned is quite different from one another."

      "It's been okay." I look away, not quite feeling comfortable here. I don't like this at all. These people, Felix.. They're strange. I glance at Akito who sips his drink. "I guess you could say I was lucky." I say next looking back at Felix.