Regret

Akito and I both stand outside The Atari estate. Both Brady and Riley are infront of us, heading toward the door but stopping as I remain frozen.

     "You're walking into the reality you were once apart of." Akito says walking past me with his eyes closed. "You need to remember that they aren't to be involved in our reality. It puts not only you, but them at risk as well." I look away for a moment. He's right. I have to keep everything hidden still. Even Kai's death.. If they knew his murderer was right infront of them.. They'd be torn.
     I let out a deep breath and nod heading toward them as Brady rings the doorbell. The door opens and it's Kai's butler.

     "Hello Officers." He says a bit surprised.

     "Are the Ataris in? We have to talk to them about Kai and Juno." He nods opening the door for us to step through.

     He leads us into the drawing room where both Kai's parents sit beside one another sipping their morning tea. When they see us his dad stands on instinct.

     "We weren't expecting any guests." His mother says sitting up a bit straighter.

     "We have some explaining to do." Akito says taking a seat across from them however I remain standing, unsure of what to say first. Brady and Riley take a seat as well.. Picking up where I can't begin as I sit next to Akito.

     "We found Juno."

•••
     "So you're telling us.. That you lied?" I meet Kai's mothers eyes and they're full of pain. "Why would you lie?!"

     " Did you.." Kai's father choked up and I shake my head.

     "I never would have killed Kai." I whisper meeting his eyes next. "When we left.. Their was an animal in the square that was hostile."

     "An animal?"

    "It was fast and with all the rain I couldn't make out what it was." I hate this.. But it's better than letting them know he was murdered. "I just know Kai told me to run."

     "And you did?" I shake my head.

     "I tried to get him to come with me but he pushed me away." I look down at my hands, the room being silent as it sinks in. "I lied about who I was because I didn't know how to face you guys." I pause in thought. "How exactly do you tell someone their son is dead.. It's not.. It's not easy."

     "I don't understand. If what you're saying is true then you've been with this fellow here since then?" I nod as they glance toward Akito.

     "I took him in. He showed up at my door terrified." Akito says leaning back brushing a hand through his hair. "However, I promised to help him he only asked that I respect his wishes and to keep what he told me to myself."

"I.." Kai's dad shakes his head and I remain silent. I feel his hatred toward me. I can see it in his eyes. He'd hate me even more if I told the truth..

"They admitted what happened." Brady says next. "And with this information, and the evidence to prove of this attack.. I'm terribly sorry for your loss." Him and Riley stand lowering their heads before heading toward the door. Akito stands making his way over next but I remain still and seated. Akito remains by the door noticing I haven't gotten up but I can't take my eyes off them.

"Juno." Akito says aloud catching their attention.

"I.." I pause as both his parents reach my eyes as a tear falls down my face. "I'm sorry." I whisper. "You guys took me in when no one else would. And Kai was a brother to me." I shut my eyes. "He was all I had.. And although I'm great full for all that you've done for me, I'm sorry."