3. Following the Beginner's Guide

Three Years Later

Licht Eralith's POV

Three blissful years had passed with me reborn into the Royal Elven Family ruling over the Elenoir Kingdom. I had even accomplished the feat of controlling when and where to take a dump, thus not staining my diapers anymore. It would have minded if this body didn't have the mind of a twenty-five year old. But to me, not having control over the functions of my own body was truly embarrassing.

Glad that I have things under control now.

Another feat I accomplished was forming of words and sentence, thus being able to communicate without making any extra noises or hand movements. Those were some difficult times where one couldn't even express themselves. I can finally express myself with words even if the pronunciation is horrific. Cut me some slack on that one! I am only what, THREE!

But I still remember the happiness in my parents' faces when I uttered "mama" and "dada" for the first time after having developed proper vocal cords to make out words. Their joy knew no bounds. Grandpa Virion tried making me say "grandpa" but I didn't let him feel the joy.

You got to learn your lesson for scaring me old man. And you will have to wait till I settle my grudge....kidding!

A few days later I did try calling him grandpa, only for the words to come out as "granpwa", sending the century old man into a laughing fit. He loved the sight of poor me trying to form perfect syllables.

Well something is better than noting right?

There is one major difference in utilizing magic in this world than that of mine. Like I mentioned before that one can master more than one element unlike mages in my world. There is another fact to take note of.

Unless the mana core within a mage has been formed, they cannot even sense mana around them or in their body at all. For sensing and utilizing mana, the mana core needs to be formed within a mage and right now in order to awaken my mana core I am reading this book called.....

'Beginner's Guide for the Privileged Mage.'

I stole this book from the library somehow but don't tell that to anyone especially grandfather. Then again nobody would be concerned about one missing book given there were multiple copies of it in the shelves for reasons unknown. Now sitting on my bed, I flipped open the cover of the book to start reading.

I am reading this book simply because I want to know how to form my mana core and awaken as a mage. Being an elf in both my births, I would feel bad if I am unable to utilize mana and fight like I previously used to. Though I won't be able to use my attribute of Sword Magic, I can always check out new avenues of magic.

Now then moving on to the book.

"While the power to control mana is largely genetic, there are many cases where children of Magi are unable to sense mana around them. A recent census showed that roughly 1 in a 100 children are able to sense mana, but the extent of which could only be tested when their mana core first completely developed--anywhere from the early adolescence to late teen years. It will be apparent when a mage first awakens by the initial repellence of the surrounding mana when their mana core manifests. This results in a translucent barrier forming around the awakened that lasts a couple of minutes."

Flip

"Mana can be used in a couple of ways. The two most common methods of utilizing mana are enhancement of the body with mana (augmenter) and emission of mana to the outside world (conjurers)."

"Augmenters are most commonly seen amongst warrior who utilize mana, channeling it through their body to strengthen themselves and their attacks."

"The practice of conjuring is seen in Mages, who, after utilizing their mana, can cast spells to give off a certain effect to the surrounding area or directly at a target."