8. Ailwyn

One Year Later

Licht's POV

"Finally!" I spoke through the mask covering my face, eyeing my surroundings which isn't anything compared to what I was used to see for eight years straight. "I finally made it to Valden City."

The amount of convincing I had to pull off just to arrive in this city is a struggle only I know of. I am the one who knows what I went through trying to convince my parents and my grandfather to let me step out of the palace and go out on my own, without any guards or grandfather tagging along with me. 

The answer to why I had to go through a battle of persuasion and to why this is such a big achievement is rather simple and yet at the same time not so simple at all. If explained in a few words then the problem can be phrased in the following manner. Valden City is a city habituated by humans and falls under the Kingdom of Sapin and I am an elf, with royalty to boot at that and just a few decades ago there was a war between the two communities.

Does one really expect that they would welcome each other and greet each other with open arms and not try to kill or capture them on sight instead? Well capturing is mostly done in case of humans who captures especially elven women to sell them as slaves, earning a good sum of money. The buyers who are mostly of noble lineage would want to either breed with the elves to get stronger children or simply satisfy their desires.

Us elves on the other hand, considering humans as lower species than us would rather kill them on sight rather than capture them and use them as slaves. Humans cannot be compared to elves.

That's the mentally that runs in this world. A mentally that I tried to eradicate in my previous world along with my best friend and we nearly succeeded if not for the devil interfering at the very end of things. Thus what I aimed for was never achieved.

Maybe this is some game of Fate that I was reborn as an elf again. Maybe in this birth I will able to unite humans and elves in some manner. 

Shaking my head and getting rid of my thoughts, I made my way for the Adventurer's Guild of Valden City where I would be getting my official Adventurer's License. Though the current rule states that only humans are allowed to become Adventurers and other species aren't. I had thoroughly prepared for this and now time to put those preparations into play without any scope of messing up.

_______________________________________

Few weeks ago

"Mother, Father, I want to become an Adventurer." I dropped this bomb when all of us were gathered in the dinner table and were near completion of our meals.

This was followed by mother and father staring at me as if I had grown a second head while grandfather nearly spit the water he was drinking on the maid standing right beside him to take the dishes and plates away.

"Adventurer?" Mother was the first to regain her composure and her face showed concern. "You mean you want to go to Beast Glades and hunt mana beasts in the dungeons?"

"Yeah..." I had no idea what else to answer her question with.

"Absolutely not! I forbid!" She scolded in a tone which nearly made grandfather signal me that I am on my own into this. I don't think he is approving of this idea of mine either. "Not only there will be dangerous mana beasts but you will be among humans who wouldn't spare a chance to either kill your or capture you for their own benefits. Have you given any thought on that?!"

Paranoid. That's the word I would use to describe her current state and she had every right to be paranoid. This is her son she is talking about who just reached the age of eight. Even if her son is some sort of genius who awakened at the age of three, I am still her little Licht for whom she has to look out every now and then.