16. Acceptance

Licht's POV

My blood boiled at the sight of how my people were kept in the cellars. They were barely given anything to eat which was understandable at the sight of their malnourished bodies. The rags that acted as their clothing barely covered their private parts and some of them even had bruises all over their bodies. 

They were those people who tried to resist and suffered severe punishment for trying to rebel. Now that I think about it, the slave traders above deserved a worse fate than death. Death is too easy of a punishment for their heinous acts they committed.

With all the negative emotions swirling in my mind, I didn't even realize when I begin leaking my killing intent out of anger and that it was affecting the others around me. I could feel a slight stinging sensation in my right palm as if my body was resonating with something but due to my emotions I ignored it.

It was until Rey patted me on the head, reminding me that he intends to keep his promise of rescuing everyone caged up here and taking them back to their respective homes, I finally calmed. Our leader definitely had sharp senses, quickly realizing the source of the intense pressure and acting on it. 

From the corner of my eye, I could see sweat forming on both his and Durden's forehead while Jasmine was having a tough time keeping her balance. This all was too overwhelming for her because unlike Reynolds and Durden who are well-experienced, she has no experience of such situations.

None of them questioned me on this and we moved on to breaking the locks of the cellars to get the captives out of their imprisonment.

I poured out clothing for the slaves from my Dimension Ring. This was another of Reynolds' sound thinking which made us all gather supplies especially clothing as according to him the slaves won't be kept in the best condition unless they are being taken to the markets. His hunch was right.

The elf boy we brought with ourselves ran up to his mother and father even before we could free them from the cages. They were having their teary-eyed reunion. But didn't the boy tell he had a sis--

"What are you going to do with us?" The question diverted my attention from my thoughts, bringing it back to the present predicament that arose. 

"Will you be handing us to other humans for money? You humans always--"

Before the elven woman could complete her accusation, Rey politely cut her off. 

"No we don't plan to do anything like that. We will help you all get back to your homes. I give you my word on that." He spoke raising his hands. 

The feeling of hostility between elves and humans was clear as a day right in front of my eyes. The effects of the previous war which happened decades ago still persisted in the hearts of both the species. Neither could let go of their grudge on one another. 

And those who were trying to correct their past mistakes and turn over a new leaf like Reynolds and the Twin Horns were very few in number. Common people like them are hardly significant in cases such as this. Even the boy tried but failed to persuade his parents that the humans that rescued them are not bad humans. 

From my past life I had learned that unless the king, or the ruling party of each nation takes the first step, bringing a change between the relation of the two species is going to be a tough job. Whenever the ruler takes the first step, his people follow him on the same step.

And together they go for the next step. With that thought in mind, I had to take the first step here.

"If you all can't trust humans then would you care to listen if it's one of your own race?" With a tone of authority in my sentence, I spoke up making myself known. Everyone had their eyes on me....good!