17. Dreams

Bairon Wykes' POV

Being successful and on the top of every field is something that was drilled into me ever since I was born. I had the job of upholding the honorable Wykes Family name as the son of the head, failure is something that cannot be tolerated, not from me at the very least. If I fail even for once, it would mean dragging the name of the entire Wykes household in mud.

That's how fragile reputations are. One mistake and it shatters like glass.

(A/N - And then we have Lucas fucking around in every way possible.)

If you are born a noble, then it is your job to be at the lead so that others follow you and those lesser than you shouldn't be able to stand tall against you. That's the kind of life led by a noble and those born a noble should be proud of this fact.

I awakened a year back and had testing of mana flowing through my mana veins and channels done which confirmed me of my affinity being Fire. But I didn't just want to stop there. I wish to achieve an even higher realm. 

Lightning.

My father Otis Vayhur Wykes is the current head of Wykes Family and I am his firstborn which means that the next head of the family is automatically going to be me. It is something that is guaranteed. All I need to do is not slack off on my training and keep going for the top. This would also lessen the chances of the branch family heads who might try to bring in their own children into competition for the next heir.

I can't have any of that. If any of them proves to be a challenge or thorn in my path, all I need to do is overcome them with my own power. I cannot afford to be weak. As a noble, weakness and inferiority are aspects that cannot be tolerated.

All I need to do is be at the top right? 

Then why? Why did one of my father's men bring in an elf girl not much older than me into the house? Why did Father instruct the maids and servants to take special care of her? 

It doesn't take a genius to figure out what Father needed from the elf. My mother's disheartened and disgusted face gave me half of the answers I needed. But she didn't utter a single word of protest and just went with it. She just endured it for the sake of the Wykes Family name and didn't even question it, nor protest it. Because if she did, she knows what fate awaits her. 

Am I not enough to be a heir to the Family that a half-breed is required in the House?

So I need to be more than just a mere Lightning Deviant to meet his expectations. I will have to be the strongest mage in Dicathen and prove supremacy over all the noble houses. If that is what it takes to satisfy him then so be it. But I am not letting a half-blood take my place. 

Never.

_______________________________________

Helen Shard's POV

It had been a while those four had gone inside the base of the slave traders while I kept watch outside. My job was to keep any approaching threats away from the base while the other did their work. I had to hand it to Ailwyn for coming up with a plan like this. Is that really the mindset of an eight-year old?

His thought process and the fact that he killed another person without a tinge of hesitation got me thinking about his upbringing. When one kills for the first time, they feel a sense of dread and guilt and at that time they are unable to hold their weapons properly for a sometime. And the time to recover from the shock and accept the truth is different for everyone.

But he didn't go through any of that when I saw him flawlessly slicing the head of the goon. Has he, killed before? Did he go through something that we cannot even fathom and that is one of the reasons behind the mask?