7. First Sword

Three years later

Alduin Eralith's POV 

"I want a smithy. A personal smithy and a craftsman who can teach me how to forge swords." This is the request of my son, Licht on his seventh birthday. And flabbergasted by his request would be the last thing I am at the moment.

His interest in swords was finally visible to me when I gifted him a wooden sword on his fourth birthday and now the wooden sword and him are really inseparable. He still has that sword tied on his waist. Merial said that he even takes the sword to bed. He really does want to be a swordsman and Father once said that he can become one after he had a spar with him.

Father acknowledging someone is very rare. And if Father said so then it must be the case. Licht might as well become the best swordsman in the entire Elenoir and be able to fight at the same level of the human swordsmen especially with from the Bladeheart Family, a nobility house in the land of humans where the greatest swordsmen and swordswomen are born.

These swordsmen did deal us a good number in the last war.

My son had always been bright since he was born. With his intelligent emerald eyes he would try to grasp knowledge about everything that is around him. He wasn't even interested in toys like other children instead he was much more interested in books; be it picture books or books with words unable to be understood at a toddler age. Father told me that he would find him at the library most of the times. I believed that my son might be some kind of prodigy.

And my belief surprisingly proved itself true when he awakened at the age of three and blew up his room, along with the rooms adjacent to his. Luckily nor him neither anyone was harmed by the explosion.

After a short discussion subsequent to Licht's awakening as a mage it was decided that Father will be the one teaching everything there is for a mage to learn. Father was the perfect candidate for mentoring Licht. After all he is strongest mage among the elves if you count out the Lances. It would also do him good by pouring his heart and soul into something.

I haven't seen him this happy and cheerful ever since big brother Allen died, followed by our mother. Call it a selfish desire of mine I wanted to see him smiling again. It is not like he is disappointed in me but I never did anything worthwhile to make him feel proud for me either.

"A smithy for forging swords. Why? You can simply buy them from the weapon shops or from auctions." I had to know why did he make this kind of request. There must be a reason behind his request. I know Licht well enough to figure that he doesn't do anything without any solid reason.

Plus there aren't any skilled blacksmith or swordsmith in Elenoir for that matter. There are those who can only teach him the basics of forging, that's all. The dwarves are the ones called the Master Craftsmen and to some extent humans are also able to forge exceptional weapons and items. But us elves don't have forte in that.

Majority of elves mostly awaken as Conjurers and there are rarely any Augmenters among us elves. Those who awaken as Augmenters mostly fight using their fists or use speed to their advantage. I fully understood why Licht wanted to use swords. After all he is an Augmenter himself and wanted to try a different method and make his own fighting style.

"But Father that won't do." Licht politely denied. "A sword forged by the swordsman himself by pouring his entire blood and sweat into it would be better than sword forged by someone else. The swordsman would know the sword better than anyone."

Once again he managed to surprise me with his reasoning behind his actions. And he worded his reason out rather maturely. I should get used to surprises from my son for the future.