14. Jasmine Flamesworth

Jasmine's POV

I was eight when I awakened as a mage and a year later I ran away from my household for good.

 I had no intention of returning to that place at all. If not having an affinity for the element that represents your family and status, makes you a lesser, a disgrace then it is better to leave that sort of environment behind for one's own benefit. 

I belonged to the prestigious Flamesworth House, a major contributor in the war against elves and a House known for housing master of Fire-elemental mages, both Conjurers and Augmenters. We took pride in this since Fire is considered the most powerful of all the elements and was also a major weakness of the elves. 

Whenever a child of the house awakens as a mage, their training starts right away. The training program is suited according to the age but that doesn't mean it is a cakewalk.

Between me and my older sister Senyir, it was me who awakened first much to everyone's surprise. Still everyone was proud and held great expectations from me. I had awakened naturally without the need of elixirs and potions used by most of the noble houses to accelerate the awakening and growth of the mage. 

My training began right away with high class mage tutors under the Flamesworth house being brought to supervise my training. To produce a perfect capable mage, our family left no stone unturned. Along with that I was made to run through various tests to find out how my mana was exerted and how it flowed in my mana channels.

When it was found out that I had no affinity for Fire and that my affinity lay in Wind, the training abruptly stopped and almost everyone except Aunt Hester turned a cold shoulder on me. That included my own mother and father and even my big sister Senyir was no exception. 

She was already jealous of me having awakened early and got all the attention of everyone in the family and now got the perfect excuse to torment me, now that I was treated like a nobody. 

I slowly started feeling left out from there. Was I just a tool in the end for my father that can be discarded if it cannot function properly? Am I not allowed to have my mother's affections just because I couldn't give them the results they were expecting? My elemental affinity wasn't something I had under control either then why? Why was I being treated like a lesser? A nobody? A disgrace?

Despite Aunt Hester being my solace in those times, it still wasn't enough when compared to the admonishment I faced on a daily basis. I couldn't take it anymore and one day decided to run away from the household, never to return. I was a naive child of merely nine who didn't know the ways of the world or how the world works but it would still be better than my household. 

With that thought in mind, I ran away from my house on my ninth birthday. Nobody would care even if I disappeared on my birthday nor would anyone bother looking. I do feel bad for Aunt Hester but I can't look back now. 

I didn't leave without a proper goal in mind. Aunt Hester always told me stories of Adventurers whenever I felt bad to cheer me up. Those stories ignited a fire within me. Adventurers are free to do whatever they want and family names or stuff like that don't matter when you are in a Dungeon facing monsters. Inside the Dungeon one is simply a mage facing off against mana beasts to save their own life while also exploring the Dungeon.

I wanted to be free from the shackles of my family and thus becoming an Adventurer became a goal for me.

Somehow surviving all by myself for three months and not being conned by shady people, I arrived at Valden City where there is an Adventurer Guild Hall. Here I could register myself as an Adventurer. There are no age limits on being an adventurer so things may work in my favor. Though I would have to reveal my last name eventually it wouldn't matter much.