1

10 years later

10 years later...

"You need to make sure your head is always high. Never look down or show any signs of weakness. The way I've raised you was to always, and I mean always be a strong and fierce woman, oui?" Mama says. I nod in understanding because what she says is true.

Mama was the best mom ever and sometimes she had to take the role of a father for me and my brothers. My dad was here but he wasn't here.

As I get older and gain a much better understanding of the things that take place in this house and in the life I live, I know my father could care less about any of us. I've seen him smile more at business partners than he ever has at his children. It's disappointing to grow up and realize your father has always disliked you.

"Okay. Ready?" she asks. I nod and throw on some earrings quickly following her out the door. I can already hear some loud banter coming from downstairs. Rooms filled with people I don't know or recognize but I can already assume Father brought them here.

To celebrate the 18th birthday of the daughter he never loved.

Cheering and clapping erupt into the room as I walk down the stairs. Some men even whoop and stare at me like I'm their prey. My brothers have bored looks on their faces but eyes filled with amusement which makes me want to smack them. I spent the night before with them complaining about this exact moment and I just know they'll be laughing about it later on.

I greet many people and shake many hands, plastering the fake smile I perfected many, many years ago. The people here are clueless about anything that's going on. And if they do know, they aren't doing anything to put a stop to it.

Father calls me over to sit beside him on his throne. He had another throne made for him to put in the banquet hall along with thrones for my mother, brothers, and me. I bow my head in greeting and sit down calmly as he speaks with a familiar man sitting to the side of him.

"She's grown into a fine young woman if I do say so myself."

Father pets my head softly like I'm a dog and he smiles down at me like he's my owner. How embarrassing.

"Ah yes. My little Ami grew up fast" he says in a sad voice.

That's what happens when you don't contribute any emotional relationship to your kid or pay any attention to them. Time flies and they grow up.

My craving for a relationship with my father disappeared a long time ago. As a child, it is all I ever wanted and all I could ever think of. I can't say it doesn't hurt but you learn to cope in a situation like this as the year's pass. I fought long and hard for his validation but now, he could shove it up to his ass for all I care.

"Well, I know my Xavier will be satisfied with her. After all, she's his type anyway," he says.

Xavier.