6

*Xavier's POV of the date*

Time is settling in quicker than I would like it too

The dates tonight. I know I'm not nervous, I have no reason to be. If anything, I'm looking forward to it and getting it over with. I don't find it a part of anyone's routine to spend time with a stranger they are going to marry soon. Nor do I think they would be jumping for joy.

A knock sounds on my door and father peeks his head through. I knew it was him before he even entered the room. He has a content look on his face as he sees me dressed and adjusting my cufflinks. I look away from him and  back at myself through the mirror. I really don't need a lecture right now. The less I engage, the less he'll say.

"You look great son." he says sitting down on the small sofa getting comfortable. I nod at him through the mirror and grab my suit jacket fluffing it out.

" You look like a man. Ready to take care of his business and handle what needs to be handled."

Here we go

" You remind me a lot of myself when I was your age. Always prepared and responsible. Willing to do anything and everything. My father was always proud of me. I want to be proud of you too, son. And I have no doubt that you'll make me proud." he finishes.

I keep my eyes off of him. I can't even look at him. Why does he always have to say shit like that? My desire to make him proud disappeared a long, long time ago. Him saying that would have meant something to 13 year old Xavier but 20 year old Xavier could care less.

It's quite pitiful for me as a twenty year old man to have my father be ruling over me like this. You'd think I would be my own man and do whatever I want and can but father made it evidently clear since I was a child that that wouldn't happen for a while. If not, ever.

My father and I have no emotional bond. Literally none at all. It's always been strictly professional. We've never played ball or had a deep and personal one on one talk. Instead of him teaching me how to ride a bike, I was learning how to read stocks, set up meetings and how to professionally present ideas. If you ask me, I felt more like my dad's business partner than his child.

I'm fully dressed and ready to go. Father takes notice and hops up out of his seat with a bit of excitement. The cars are outside and our drivers wait for us to get in and take us to the Kasongo residence. My parents get in the first one and I'm alone in the second one. I'm glad I'm alone for now. I really don't want to be smothered right now with things to do and what to say.

The ride takes about fifteen minutes and we are here. Their house is beautiful outside with a nice fountain in front of two dolphins flipping over each other. Fathers the first one out the car and ushers mom out. I take my own deep breath and get out as well. We walk up to the door and it swings open as Aminata's father stands there with a welcoming smile on his face.