10

Father always has to give his two cents into something

Whether it has something to do with him or not, he's going to say something especially if it's pertaining to his children and family and most importantly his business.

I knew he was always a man of words especially with the lectures he would give us as children that used to last hours.

We could always tell when he would be ready to lecture us. His new found body language and tone of voice gave it away each and every time.

His new best friend has become the bell he uses to call one of us to his office. We all have our own specific ones that let us know which one he wants to see or talk to.

Mine has gone off the most these past couple of days.

The walk to fathers office is short but feels long as my feet drag themselves. My palms become more sweaty as I rub and hold them against one another. Questions play in my head like they always do but the main one of all that is marking itself strongly;

What the hell does he want now?

His door is already open as I pop up in front of it instantly catching his attention. He waves his hand in a motion that is calling me over.

I walk then sit in the usual spot I always do right in front of his humongous desk. Papers are scattered around it and a bottle of rum almost empty sits on his desk. Someone's clearly been stressed out. Not that I care.

"Tomorrow the seamstress who is making your dress will be coming over to take your measurements and noting down everything necessary for you to have the perfect dress."

He rambles on and on about expectations for behavior, class, etiquette and all that jazz as if I don't know already. I've never been the one to give my dad or his partners any kind of trouble so why he feels the need to repeat this every single time is really beyond me. I follow every single rule every time. I know what to do. I don't know why he doesn't get that.

" and lastly, your wedding date will be Saturday, July 2nd. You're dismissed."

With that I nod and get up walking my way out of there.

July 2nd.

That was only a couple of weeks away.

A couple weeks until I have to be away from my brothers. From mama. From my room. My safe haven.

This whole time I've been trying to look at the bright side but I haven't found one yet. I don't think there is a bright side. I have new feelings about this every single day. One day I think i'm okay and coming to terms with this. Other days, I feel like I literally cannot breathe. Everything keeps on happening so fast. Faster than I would like.

I open my door to my room and slam it shut out of annoyance. My breathing becomes so uneven I can even hear it way more than I can hear the voice in my head telling me to breathe in and out.

After about 3 minutes, my breathing is now under control and I plop down on my bed. I haven't had a moment like that since I first found out about this whole ordeal at the party.

I stare deeply at my painting that I put up on my ceiling. A painting of a cottage with lilies and daffodils surrounding it. A nice spot I can see myself living and isolating in. if I were to ever run away, it would be to the country side; a place like this where it looks like everlasting peace exists. It took me three weeks to finish. T

There is no way I'm leaving these paintings here. If I have to bring them with me, so be it.

Something in the corner of my room catches my eye. My chrysanthemums. The ones Xavier gave to me. They are still alive and well sitting in a vase of water that I constantly change. I don't even remember if I ever told him that my favorite flowers were chrysanthemums.

Regardless of anything, the thought that he went and got these for me makes me happy. It was cute and thoughtful of him to do.

Am I falling for him? No, absolutely not.

Will I ever? Doubt it.

But that doesn't mean I can't bask in the now. I'll just sit and worry about the future later.

I walk over to them with a small smile on my face and take a nice whiff. My brothers despise the smell of them. He said they smell like wax but I disagree. I enjoy the earthy smell of them. Call me a botanist but flowers are a part of the love of my life. Of course art and reading are up first but you get the point.

My painting of Xavier catches my attention as it sits on my canvas. One thing I can admit is that he is handsome.

Extremely handsome.

Some may say it's weird that I just up and randomly painted my husband to be but boredom is a disease. I also just wanted a challenge so I tried to make it as accurate as possible to where if you did a side to side comparison, you could see it's really him.

My eyes fall to his lips. His little cupid's bow and plump bottom lip. My hand finds its way onto the painting caressing his face. Part of me wishing it was his real face.

I come back to my senses and snatch my hand back. That's enough. That's more than enough.

I turn to be met with my mirror and scold myself.

What are you doing?

What's wrong with you?

You're done.

Hey my lovely readers!! I hope all is well with y'all :) Apologies for my inactiveness and going almost a whole month without updating:( I really am sorry but I'm back and better and ready to write. Hope you liked this chapter. Stay tuned for more🫶🏾.

Ps. Who watched stranger things 4??? Did you like it??

 Who watched stranger things 4??? Did you like it??