5

The drive is silent

The drive is silent.

We are in the back seat sitting side by side but both looking out two separate windows. He hasn't uttered a word and I sure as hell won't either. But this silence is killing me and making me feel hot and sweaty.

It's not a comfortable silence. It's an awkward silence, as if we are both aware that neither of us will say anything or initiate conversation. Regardless of whether i wanted to go on this date or not, i don't want it to be like this the whole night because i know it'll be one long night.

I kind of had a feeling it would be like this. doubt he would be talking, laughing and smiling with me throughout this night. I have to keep in mind that we hardly know each other and every bit of interactions we have with one another is not nor has it ever been by choice.

The car comes to a stop and the restaurant comes into view. It's gorgeous and beautifully lit up, shining brightly through the night. People who I assume are couples walk in and out looking like they've enjoyed themselves. Smiling widely and walking hand in hand.

Good for them.

Xavier opens my door from outside and sticks his hand out asking for mine. I didn't even realize he had got out in the first place. I give him my hand cautiously, stepping out and begin walking with him. We receive some attention but i don't mind it as it isn't something new.

The daughter and son of two of the most famous business men in the country out at a fancy restaurant together. It'd be surprising if we didn't get attention.

We walk in and right off the bat, some employee smiles at us immediately leading us to a table that says reserved. Again proving my point that this had been planned way before I even knew about it.

We take our seats and I take a quick second to look around the restaurant as it looks even more beautiful on the inside than it does outside. The interior design of this place is truly amazing.

"Can I start you guys off with some drinks?", the waiter asks.

Xavier looks at me, signifying that I should go first.

What a gentleman.

"I'll just do lemon water for now please."

I've had a lifelong obsession with lemon water. It just tastes right to me. Xavier orders himself some red wine and asks for the bottle to be left here. I hope he doesn't plan on getting drunk tonight because it is not on my agenda to chaperone or babysit a drunk, grown man at all.

The waiter leaves and we are back in silence again with the background noise of the restaurant chatter and utensils clinking against one another. For the love of god, can he talk? I mean I could easily start up a conversation but i'd rather him do it.

I know I have an emotionless look on my face and probably look like I don't want to talk but he should still try.

I sigh and look over to my right making eye contact with a baby in a stroller. She's so cute with her big, doe eyes and frilly hair. She cracks a smile at me while cooing and I smile back softly. I love babies in their blob phase.